Researching Your Story

I touched on this in the previous chapter. Researching is important. It is the cement between the walls of your story that prevents it from collapsing. If you do not research, your novel or short story or whatever it is will be one giant plot hole.

Some stories require more research than others. For instance, a science fiction novel is going to be more complicated than a teen fiction short story. There are a few things to think about when you are researching.

1. Is the source up to date?

I don't mean that you need to find out the exact day of the month your source was updated or, in the case of books, written. All I'm saying is that technology changes all the time and an article from the 1970's probably isn't a good representation of what it might be like today. For example, if you want to know about silk production, check out a few websites to make sure that the information adds up. This way, you can be certain that what you are reading is legit. For some topics, you probably won't even need to do this because it'll be fairly obvious if the information is accurate or not.

2. Can the site be edited by just anyone?

Check! If you browse the site for awhile, you will soon discover whether or not there is a "sign up here" button hanging around or a "become an editor" ad. These sites are usually not good to use as your one resource because uneducated people can easily manipulate what the site says. This is the reason many teachers and professors ban the use of Wikipedia in their classes. However, I already explained in the previous chapter why Wikipedia actually is a good resource to use. Check that out if you want to listen to my reasoning.

3. Who made the site?

It probably won't take you long to figure out whether some random kid decided to make a site for a research project or if it was a professor or specialist. Usually, if you are reading an article, they'll say who the author is and what their profession is. They purposefully do this to show that they are legit. Other ways they do this is by listing their sources of information. If they do this, you can check up on other sites or even museums and real people who supplied them with their knowledge.

Probably one of the most secure ways to ensure that the information you are reading on a site is reliable is checking the domain. Domains like .edu and .gov are almost always safe. However, .com or .org or .net can be purchased and used by anyone.

Grammar and punctuation mistakes are a big fat indicator of someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Never take information from a site where the person is dropping improper grammar all over the place. Also, sites like Wattpad or other blogs aren't good either! Don't just trust that the websites where members can release any information they want to the world are all right. They aren't. Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots on Wattpad who think they know what they are talking about but couldn't differentiate a fly from a spider if they had to.

4. What sources should you use?

The internet, of course, is the easy way to go. But, as many websites as there are, it can be difficult to find specific pieces of information you are looking for. If you are researching a pretty general topic, the internet is a good choice, or you can go to a museum if there is one on the subject. If you are a visual learner, museums might be better if you have the time and are willing to spend a little bit of your money.

Look through history textbooks for historical fiction or find information on the customs of the time period online. You can research using books also. Usually, informational sites will provide a way for you to contact the author. If that's the case, and you have specific questions, it's probably a good idea to give them a call or send a quick email, especially if they specialize in the subject. Be patient and polite or they might not feel inclined to help you. Most of the time, if you are willing to wait and phrase your question nicely, they'll be happy to help you out. It is their job, after all, to inform.

If you are going on a vacation with your family, or even by yourself, to a place that involves your book pay special attention to the culture and the sites that you visit. It could really aid you in your research. Some really dedicated authors even travel for the sake of their novel, but I hardly expect that of most.

5. How should you store all of your research?

The best way to do this would be to carry around a notebook and jot down the important bits, especially if you are on the fly or chatting with someone over a phone. Later, you can always organize your information in a word document, if that will help you. Taking photos of things in museums or other countries is a good idea too, so long as it is permitted. If not, use your artistic skills and draw! Google images is always available for viewing if you aren't very artsy as well.

Hopefully, these are some useful tips for you to use when researching. I know a lot of people dislike this part of the planning process. It can be long, and is often boring, but it is important. Thanks so much for reading! I wish you luck on your researching.