Naming Your Characters

Okay, I'll admit it. This is a pretty minor detail in the grand scheme of things, but I still think that it is helpful information to know. Believe it or not, there actually are ineffective and effective ways to name your characters. I can't tell you what to name your character, but I can give you some tips so you can narrow down your options and find one that works. I'll list some qualities your character's names should/could or should not have below.

1. Meaning

This isn't really necessary, but it's definitely something you should consider. Most of the time, character's names aren't just random; they are well thought out. Sometimes authors even choose names that mean a certain thing, like "traitor" or "saviour". A lot of people won't notice this but when the critics come out to analyse your book, they'll almost definitely catch it.

2. Uniqueness

It's no fun for your book to be like any one else's. In fact, I'd say it is often an insult to say that someone's story is basically another. As author's we want our stories to be unique! And your character's names fall under that category as well. Try and choose names that aren't super common.They don't need to be super out there but choosing a name that isn't shared with a famous protagonist is a good idea. Try to avoid names like Sarah, Anne, Kate, Sophie, etc. My name is actually Kate and I can tell you that it is definitely not uncommon. Not that these aren't nice names, but they don't stand out. Or you can actually make an average name unique by changing the spelling.

3. Simplicity

By simplicity, all I mean is that it should be easy to pronounce. If your readers can't figure out what your character's names are even supposed to be, that's a turn-off! Make sure it's easy for readers to pronounce, even if it is something they've never heard nor seen before. That's all I suggest.

4. Sensible

My next point is that their name should make sense for the character. It should match the era, their culture, and their race. If they have a name that is uncommon for someone like themselves, there should be a reason! One thousand years in the future names should have changed quite a bit. You can make up names in that case (but not limited to). You can find names for historical fiction that aren't the cliché Elizabeth or Jane.

Especially make sure that their names match their race because readers might think that you are white-washing them otherwise.

5. Fitting

The name should suit the personality. A tough girl should have a tough name and a sweet girl probably would have a more relaxed, calm name, if you get what I'm saying. It's up to you to decide what suits their personality. Unless, of course, you are using irony.

6. Irony

In irony, a character's name should mean or evoke feelings of the exact opposite of their personality. For example, you could name a person Hope and then have them massacre a village. That is irony. However, if you are using irony, their name and their personality should be a huge contrast because if they aren't, people will probably think it's unintentional. Therefore, they will believe you just didn't do your research.

Irony is a bit humorous and clever and you should definitely think about it, especially if you are writing a satire.

7. Variety

By variety, I am mainly talking about vowel sounds and letters to start your name with. Try to make all of your character's names start with different letters as much as possible. Why? Because when you are introducing characters it's easy to mix them up, especially if their names are similar. As for vowel sounds, it's the same thing. Try to avoid names rhyming. Of course, if you are writing a children's book or a satire and you are purposefully using alliteration and rhyming schemes, you can throw all of this out the window.

8. Appealing

Last of all, the name should not only be appealing to the ear (unless you want the opposite effect) but also appealing to you, as the writer. You should like the name and you'll know if it doesn't feel right. Use your judgement.

That's it! I hope this provided some helpful information to you. Thanks!