One: The castle

"Your Highness?"

"Elena, leave," Juniper snapped, stormy green eyes focused at the window. "I don't want to hear from anyone until my parents come and talk to me directly."

"But-"

Juniper slowly faced the maid. "Did I stutter?"

"No. Apologies, your Highness. I'll see what I can do." The maid hastily bowed out of the room.

Juniper returned her attention to the fading storm outside without another thought of the maid. She was very unhappy with her ridiculous parents and who they thought she should be. She took comfort in the sound of the fire in the hearth where she'd immediately burned the letter her parents had sent to her rooms that told her of a punishment and the reasons behind it. But at the moment, she was choosing to ignore the letter. It was nothing more than ashes, therefore it didn't exist.

Thankfully, it wasn't long before she heard the unmistakable sound of her father's boots just moments before her door opened. Thank the gods.

"Juniper, we made things perfectly clear in that letter." Her father's voice growled, full of impatience, as usual.

The Princess faced the King, unable to keep the smug smile from her face. "What letter?" She gestured around. "I don't see one here."

The King's beard was looking rather messy, and his cinnamon hair wasn't looking much better. Maybe if he didn't waste so much energy on trying to change his daughter, he wouldn't look so beat. Juniper thought rather bitterly. She crossed her arms, waiting for his response.

"You are impossible. You've only further proven my point. You are a spoiled child that needs to learn a lesson or two."

"And sending me away to some speck of an island is the lesson you decided on?" Juniper interrupted, unable to restrain herself. "Some parents you are. Where is Mother anyway?"

"She's keeping the court busy because they give her a much smaller headache than you do," the King quipped. "Now stop your nonsense for once and do as we've instructed."

"What, pack some bags to leave? You've truly lost your mind if you think I'm going to do that," Juniper huffed, rolling her eyes.

"Listen now or we'll also cut you off."

Juniper ignored the warning. "No. Your threats don't work on me and haven't since I was a child. Going to some island isn't going to magically change me into an angel."

"Maybe you won't change. But you will learn something whether you like it or not." The King held his hand up, silencing her before she could say another word. "Your ship leaves tonight. If you aren't packed, you'll be traveling with nothing but the clothes on your back. Maybe I'll be more willing to speak with you in six months."

Anger sparked bright in Juniper's veins. "Just like that? You're sending me away for being someone you raised me to be?"

"We never raised you to be a spoiled brat with zero respect for anything. Now one more word out of you and I will have you forcibly removed to the ship this instant!"

Juniper went quiet as her Father's bellow filled the room. His anger was the one thing she couldn't compete with. In silent answer, she turned to the window again.

"Very good. I'll leave you to pack your things. Valarie will come by shortly to help you with whatever you need."

She couldn't stop herself from rolling her eyes. Valarie, her ever so perfect sister. She really was. She was kind and brave, open hearted and honest. It was a bit revolting, in Juniper's opinion. But apparently that was enough to attract a Prince that fell in love with her faster than she could say 'this is disgusting'. The only good thing about leaving was the fact she could miss the wedding.

Elena came back a few minutes after the King left and started cleaning up the Princess' study. She worked quietly and stayed out of the way. Juniper appreciated that.

After another several minutes glaring out the window, Juniper gathered her copper hair in her hands and tied it up out of the way. Might as well get to work while she had alone time. She started going through her desk, grabbing a few things she felt she needed, such as her dagger and the little pouch of poisons she stole a few months ago. Being prepared was important. So she also grabbed her two favorite books and the enchanted candle gifted to her last year that would never burn out.

Juniper was buried in her closet by the time someone else arrived; Valarie. She set her complete focus on the pile of trousers in front of her.

"Are you taking all of your clothes?" Valarie asked, voice calm, as always as she leaned on the bed.

"Don't be ridiculous, Val. I won't subject my whole wardrobe to such conditions."

"Conditions?" Valarie repeated, raising an eyebrow. "What conditions?"

"Stuffy trunks, sea water, exposure to whatever elements await me on that island," Juniper listed, tossing a few clothes into a separate pile as she did. "I'll use a few outfits and that's it."

"You can use some of mine if you want," Valarie offered, shrugging lightly. "I have plenty to share."

Juniper gave her older sister a flat stare. "I haven't had your pity in nineteen years, and I don't need it now. My clothes will do just fine."

Valarie didn't flinch. "It's not pity, June. I just care about you."

Juniper didn't believe it for a second. Being ignored her whole life didn't feel like care. She continued picking through her clothes silently. When Val didn't leave, she paused. "You can go back to whatever you were doing before. I've got this handled well enough."

"Father wanted me here. So I'm here. Talk to me, June." Val knelt on the floor a few feet away, her similar green eyes expectant.

"No. I'm busy. If you really want to help you can start by folding that pile of clothes," Juniper gestured at the little pile without much of a glance.

Valarie sighed. "I know what Mother and Father is asking seems... ridiculous, but they truly think it's what's best for you."

Juniper fought down the need to completely lose her cool. "You mean they know it's the best way to get rid of me. And don't try to say otherwise, Val. I'm not a blithering idiot." She popped to her feet. "Start folding those, I'm going to get a snack, I haven't eaten all day."

"Why didn't you come to dinner?"

"I wasn't told about it." Juniper left her rooms without another glance. She probably didn't want to be at dinner anyway. Valarie's future husband's family was visiting and socializing with them was an absolutely nauseating thought. She was grateful to miss it.

As Juniper neared the kitchens, she passed a servant boy carrying a covered tray. "Pause right there," she ordered.

The boy stopped immediately, eyes wide. The Princess lifted the silver lid and studied the platter of crackers, cheeses, and meat with a raised eyebrow. With a tiny smile, she placed the lid on the servant's head and proceeded to grab a few crackers and slices of cheese.

"Uh, those are for the other royals." The boy's voice was timid, but audible.

Juniper placed the lid back in its rightful spot. "They won't notice a few missing pieces. If you mention it, I'll have you released from the castle within an hour." She patted his head, still smiling, if a bit wickedly. "Carry on." She kept going, not bothering to check if the servant was going along with it.

Being called a villain was nothing new to Juniper. Everyone knew it, so she was typically left alone and that made it so much easier to get away with things. The only one that seemed willing or able to handle her was the little maid, Elena. But even she didn't dare rat out a princess.

So Juniper merely embraced her part as the cunningly wicked Princess of Rovisa. Now that she had years of practice under her belt, it was a fun part to play.

---------------

Whale, this is a Lil beginning/ sneak peek into my new story that I'm honestly still feeling out. Let me know some thoughts yall have on it! I've been toying with this idea for like two years lol. So here it is. Thanks for reading. (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)