Two: Setting Sail

Juniper's gown was already soaked through. Of course it had to start raining again just as I'm leaving. She watched the ship as it bobbed in the restless ocean and could already feel her stomach twist with motion sickness. Disgusting. She glanced at Elena, who stood shivering just behind the Captain. "They said they would be here?"

The maid nodded, the action causing water to cascade from her black hair. "The King wanted to send you off himself."

"Well they should hurry up." Juniper rubbed her hands together. It wasn't actually that cold yet. But her fingers always managed to freeze first. The dock remained empty, and she was ready to just forget saying goodbye and get on the ship to warm up. Her parents were already sending her off, and now they were making her wait in the cold rain? Absurd.

"Thank goodness you actually waited!" Valarie's voice echoed through the rain as she ran down the dock. "We just got done, sorry, June."

Juniper let out a sigh. "I'm ready to take off. How close are Mother and Father?"

"They'll be here any minute," Valarie assured, grabbing Juniper's hands. "How do you feel?"

"How do you think I feel? I'm cold and wet, and I'm heading off to an island that I'll officially name My Personal Hell when I get there."

Val rolled her eyes. "You don't need to be so rude about it."

"I'm sure you would feel the same way." Juniper pulled her hands free and hugged herself against the cold. "I'll be gone long enough you won't remember me. My rudeness will be forgotten too."

Valarie went quiet as they continued waiting for their parents. Juniper was becoming more irritated by the minute. This was typical. When it came to Val, everything was a rush, everything was important. That was not the case with their second daughter. And she knew it well enough.

"Times up." Juniper turned on her heel.

"June-" Valarie caught her arm, stopping her. "Wait just a few more minutes."

Juniper pulled free. "No. I've waited long enough. This will save them a trip."

Valarie's eyes filled with emotion. Sympathy? Guilt? It was hard to say. "They're coming, I know it."

"Maybe. But I'm leaving now. I don't see a point in hanging around." For a moment Juniper hesitated. Then she gave Val a brief hug. "Enjoy your wedding in a month. I'll see you in six." Before another word could be spoken, she strode down the dock and up the ramp to the ship. Elena was close on her heels.

Leaving without seeing her parents was only fitting. She wasn't sure why she waited in the first place.

* * *

Juniper's back was aching as she laid flat on the floor, staring at the blue sky above. She was feeling plenty sea sick and this was the first time in two days that she'd found a position where she felt somewhat normal. The crew members running the ship walked around where she lay in the middle of the deck, but she didn't care.

"Your Highness? Would you like some shade?" Elena's gentle voice came.

Juniper closed her eyes. "I'm alright at the moment. But you could grab me some water."

"Of course, My Lady." Her footsteps faded away.

How dull this was. Not a single member of this royal crew was interesting or entertaining in any way. And most of them were scared of her. The Captain ignored her altogether. How could she expect to survive like this?

"Your water."

Juniper groaned and sat up slowly as Elena crouched next to her, canteen held out. She took it and gulped down a good amount of water. It made her feel a little sick again, but she ignored it.