Six: Sea Sickness

The intense and abrupt movements of the ship tossed in the storm stopped at least an hour ago. But Juniper's body was very upset with her. She felt utterly pathetic curled in a ball in her closet of a room. She could only focus on a spot near the wall to help keep herself from vomiting everywhere. She loathed her ridiculous weakness.

"Princess?" a soft voice came through the door. Elena.

Juniper swore under her breath harshly. She wasn't in the position to see anyone, let alone that traitor. "Go away," she hissed. Her body doubled over as pain fired up in her stomach following the short response. That was different. I'm not actually sick, am I?

"Are you alright?" the maid was still there. How annoying.

She tried getting up. "I said- ah!" Junpier crumpled to the floor again, sharp pain drawing her down.

The door swung open. "Your Highness!" Elena dropped next to her. "What's wrong?" Her cool hands touched her face. "You're burning up. We need to get you some help."

"On this ship?" Juniper scoffed. "Right."

"Kitt is practiced in medicine, he can help."

Juniper pushed Elena back at that. "No! Don't you realize how quickly I could be killed if any of these blood thirsty pirates sees one sign of weakness in me?"

Elena shook her head. "No one will see. I can bring the Captain here."

"Over my dead body."

The maid didn't move for a moment, torn. Then her blue eyes hardened. "I'm getting the Captain whether you like it or not. Your health is more important to me than your opinion of me."

Juniper's mouth dropped as Elena left. That was definitely new. It was almost... refreshing. She quickly shook her head. No one was seeing her weakness today. She started getting up to close the door. Yet again, the pain in her side had her on the ground again. What was wrong?

Unfortunately the Captain and Elena showed up in no time, meaning she had no time to avoid them. Elena shut the door as Kitt crouched beside the Princess.

"What's wrong, Princess? Are you feeling any pain?" He asked calmly, watching her carefully.

Juniper was too stubborn. "I'm fine, she's just being over dramatic."

Kitt shook his head. "You can't even get on the bed." Without warning he picked her up like she was nothing and laid her on the cot. She bit down a cry of pain, but it didn't really work. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

"Don't be absurd," Juniper snapped, appalled that he would even suggest it. "That would require me allowing another person to come near me. Now leave, I'm perfectly alright."

Kitt completely ignored her as he pressed his fingers into her side, brows furrowed. He then pushed the center of her stomach and she let out a gasp of pain. "That's not good."

"What's not good is you touching me so casually." Juniper was quickly becoming murderous.

"Stop talking."

"Then get out."

"You could die, I'm not risking this job because of your dignity."

"At least I have dignity," Juniper shot back angrily.

Kitt grabbed her wrist harshly as his gaze met hers sharply. "Stop. Now. That, or I'll just tie you down."

Juniper mentally gathered herself for a moment. She wanted to feel normal again, so she would comply. For a moment, anyway. "Fine."

"When did this start?"

"A little bit ago. The storm made me feel a bit ill, but I didn't feel pain until a few minutes ago." She felt like a child again answering these questions.