Three

"Pirates belong in story books."

"They're very real, June," Valarie assured, eyes serious. "We didn't come running back here because of a fake attack."

"Then how are you all alive and the ship is unscathed? Some pirates they were. Maybe they were wannabes." Juniper dismissed.

"Whether they were wannabes or not, they caused damage. And I'm sure there are others on the seas that are much more practiced and therefore more dangerous." Val gestured to her ship. "Remember that next time you travel. They could appear anywhere."

"I'd have to travel by ship to run into that sort of trouble. I rather hate motion sickness so that won't happen."

Valarie shrugged. "Whatever you say. Just don't call threats fictional."

Juniper hoped these so called pirates were weak wannabes like the ones that had attacked her sister's ship two years ago. That would make things so simple.

She ran up to deck and twisted in a circle as she scanned the darkening ocean for the other ship. It was some distance away, but Juniper could definitely tell the bigger ship was catching up, and fast. She wondered how the Captain knew it was pirates, but the more she looked at the approaching vessel, the more she felt his notion was correct.

Unlike any merchant ship or royal ship, it was made from dark wood and the dirty sails were unkempt and a bit tattered. The display of cannons was also very impressive, and completely impractical with regular vessel standards. Lastly, the wine red flag that waved proudly in the evening wind bore the symbol of a sword piercing a skull.

Juniper couldn't help rolling her eyes a bit. How unoriginal.

Shouted orders from the Captain jolted her out of her head and she realized that it was not a good sign that she could see that flag so clearly. The crew was rushing about the ship, prepping the cannons and gathering weapons. And the pirate ship continued to gain on them.

"Captain!" She shoved past a few sailors and ran up to the helm. "I don't think you have enough cannons to stand against them! I suggest we try and outrun them!"

"This ship cannot go any faster, Highness. The only thing we can do is fight." He shouted more orders.

Juniper huffed and ran to her cabin, muttering how incompetent some men were. There was always a chance to outrun trouble, no matter how useless it seemed. If one had the proper use of their brain, escape could be very easy. But it was clear the Captain wasn't going to listen to a word she said.

Elena was at her side immediately. "What's happening, My Lady?"

Juniper rummaged through her things, grabbing her dagger and poisons that she was very grateful to have. "Pirates have decided to show up rather suddenly." She opened a drawer in the desk and grabbed the pistol that was stored inside. "And the Captain won't listen to me, so he's idiotically going to face them."

A loud boom split the air and seconds later the floorboards shook as their ship was hit with the first cannon of battle.

Elena let out a scream and she dropped to the floor, covering her head.

Juniper sighed and tied her hair up as she went to Elena's side. "Cowering in fear won't do any good in this situation, Elena. On your feet."

"Fire at will!" Captain's voice boomed.

Covering her ears, Elena obeyed her princess as the room shook with the loud intensity of the cannons.

Juniper pulled the maid to her little closet. "Change into some trousers. Quickly now." She pushed the maid in hopes of raising her urgency. She knew well enough what was about to happen. They were doomed to be sunk, and swimming in a gown was impossible. She wasn't ready to lose this useful maid just yet.