Eight: Back and Forth

The pages of the book were becoming blurry, and Juniper rubbed her eyes with a sigh. "I'm much better at learning things hands on, you know. And wouldn't it be easier for you to show me these things?"

Kitt only gave her a sweet, but clearly sarcastic, smile. "We can get to that later, Highness. If you truly want to learn how a ship works, you need to know what function each part of the ship serves." He pointed to the little illustration of the center mast that he had her studying just now. "This is essential information, and once you have all this down, you'll be that much more efficient at sailing."

Juniper knew he was right, but she was never one for studying out of books. "I suppose you make sense, but I still think you should show me some of these things." She leaned back in her chair, watching the Captain carefully. He was leaned back in his seat, one foot propped on the table as he spun a small knife in his hand. She couldn't help admiring his physique as he relaxed there, his coat long ago tossed to a chair and his sleeves rolled up his arms. How a tired man could look this good in this setting, she had no idea. But she wasn't about to complain.

"Considering how much you appear to hate studying, you seem to like studying me." Kitt's voice had her tearing her eyes from his lovely shoulders.

"Apologies, Captain. I can't help it when I'm intrigued by a subject." She smirked. "But I'll go back to this book if you really want me to." She moved to grab it.

The Captain slid the book out of reach. "At least you're honest, Princess," he said, meeting her eyes. "I never heard that about you."

Juniper slowly smiled. "I'm honest when it counts."

"I at least expected you to be embarrassed. Staring is rude, after all."

"Men are never ashamed, so why should I be?"

"Fair enough." Kitt sat up, bringing his foot back to the floor. "I'm curious though, what have you learned about me from your observations?"

"If you're looking to get an ego boost on your looks, you'll be disappointed."

"As lovely as that would be, that's not what I'm looking for. I want to know what you've gathered about me. I know enough about you, so it's only fair."

"I'm not sure if the word fair fits here, but I won't argue." Juniper put a contemplative finger to her lips. What had she observed about him? "Well for starters, you are annoyingly stubborn. Mostly thanks to your obvious ego. You like things done your way, you like control. But you're a fair person, which is odd, considering you clearly know how unfair life is." She raised an eyebrow. "Would you like me to continue?"

Kitt's expression was unreadable as he considered her for a moment. "You're more observant than you let on, Princess. It seems the more I learn about you the more alike we seem."

"That's not such a good thing, is it, Captain? Being hated can sometimes be a bit tiring, don't you think?"

"Maybe." Kitt sat back once again. "How skilled are you when it comes to fighting?"

Juniper appreciated the change in subject. It was beginning to feel a bit too personal. "I'm better than my sister. She's the only one that acknowledges it, so that gives me more advantage."

Kitt grinned. "And I'm assuming you play dirty."

"How else am I supposed to play?"

An amused hum rumbled from his chest, and Juniper smiled as he met her gaze. "You'll have to show me sometime." Kitt pushed to his feet. "But for now, I say it's time we get some sleep."

Juniper swiped the book off the table as she got to her feet as well. "I appreciate the lesson, little pirate. I'll have this memorized by tomorrow night."