1 - Where it All Began

—+*+—
CHAPTER ONE
—+*+—

RAYS OF LIGHT gradually peeked through window blinds, shining down into a simple room beneath it

RAYS OF LIGHT gradually peeked through window blinds, shining down into a simple room beneath it. Slowly, a young woman opened her eyes and blinked to adjust to the morning's sunshine. A sigh pushed past her lips and she sat up slowly. "Good morning, world." She said cheerily, even though no one else was there.

It was a small room, but its size did not prevent the woman from filling it will colorful, unique, and exotic posters of a variety of designs. Movie and book advertisements were plastered on the walls along with old photos, tinted with age.

The woman's bare legs swung over the side of her bed, with the carpet only just tickling her toes. Springing up with unusual energy, the woman rose to her feet and checked her phone. A new notification was at the top of the screen:

MISSION 2/14/2014
EXTRACTION TEAM
ROMANOFF LEAD. ON BASE @7:00

"Romanoff leading?" she grinned at the thought. "This'll be fun."

She selected her clothes for the mission and walked out of the room with blaring headphones. The time was 6:30, leaving her barely 5 minutes to get ready. She never had early missions and had been accustomed to leisurely preparing for the day, so a protein bar was the quickest breakfast she could prepare before running out the door and yelling to rock music.

After a short drive to her headquarters, the woman met up with her S.T.R.I.K.E leader, Brock Rumlow. He was waiting for her at the door and did not hesitate to tell her off.

"You're late." He said dully.

She increased her pace once he joined her. "No," she said casually. "It's 6:58, not 7:00."

"The whole team's waiting," Rumlow growled.

"Well, they should have scheduled the mission for 6:58, then." She smiled.

"Keep that attitude at home, Sharp. Right now we're business." He said as he grabbed her arm and led her around a corner.

The woman yanked her wrist out of his grasp. "I know how to get to the hanger, you know."

Rumlow shot her a surprised look. "Really? I thought with all your babble, you'd miss it."

She rolled her eyes. "I love how useful your sarcasm is."

"It's more useful than you." He replied dryly.

The woman stopped walking and gaped. "Wh-, okay, now that was too far."

Rumlow turned around and flashed her an annoyed stare. "You know how you can be useful? Getting on the quinjet so we can leave. Come on." He continued his pace, leaving the woman to follow behind grumbling.

Once the pair arrived at the ramp of the quinjet, they found the whole S.T.R.I.K.E team, along with Natasha Romanoff and another man whose back was turned.