5 - The Game of Life

—+*+—
CHAPTER FIVE
—+*+—

warning: alcohol, drunkenness, sexual assault (not graphic), death

"FURY'S BEEN SHOT."

The words made everything freeze. Emersyn might have normally laughed at Natasha, ask if she was joking, but this time... she knew.
Her breath was caught in her throat, choking her with a deep, painful anxiety. She never thought that worry could be so painful.

Her fingers hung up the phone before words could even begin to form. Emersyn's gut hurt with churning anxiety, so overwhelming she couldn't focus on anything else. Her breath came in rapid gasps, drying her mouth and making it difficult to swallow. Everything was happening so fast; her head throbbed from the concussion, dark spots swallowed her vision, her legs shook as they swayed from nausea. The only feeling that overruled them all was: run.
Fight or flight. Her body chose flight. Emersyn was on the highest alert she'd ever been, so overwhelmed by everything around her screaming, begging, dying to flee. The desire to sprint was unbearable; the urge to escape this room, this apartment, this city, this reality, controlled her.

Her hands landed on the counter to balance herself. Despite the lightheadedness and the blurred vision, Emersyn did the only thing she can do. She ran. She ran, and ran, ran. Emersyn burst out the door, not bothering to lock it, tumbled down flights of stairs, chest heaving and heart pounding like a dreadful timer in her ear, counting down faster and faster to the terrible moment she would face at the hospital. Her legs carried her with desperate speed, ignoring everything in her path. Her whole body was focused on one object: get to Fury.

She slammed her car door shut, shaking the whole vehicle, and broke all traffic laws as she sped through streets, over medians, cut across intersections and swerved into the S.H.I.E.L.D parking lot. Police sirens followed her, flashing and blaring, but it did not matter. Emersyn screeched to a halt, blinking away tears at the base of the Triskelion. Yells of the police behind her did not reach her ears. She took out her identification from her wallet and threw it behind her screaming, "take it! Fine me! I don't care!"

Her surroundings became a blur as she sprinted into the building, pushed past doors with incredible force, and skidded past nurses who yelled at her to slow down. She did not care. Tears threatened to overflow, but Emersyn blinked them back angrily. She couldn't cry now. Crying meant that it was over, and Emersyn would never let that happen.

As she sprinted around a corner, she slipped and crashed into the wall, but picked herself up and kept on running. People shot her alarmed glances and called after her, but she kept on running. The room numbers became blurs when Emersyn passed them, and everything started swirling into an identical mass of doors and hallways. She staggered and came to a halt. "where..." she gasped for air. "Where's Fury?"