13 - The Night Everything Changed

—+*+—
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
—+*+—

—+*+—CHAPTER THIRTEEN—+*+—

WASHINGTON D.C, 2003.

THE HOUSE WAS QUIET and lonely throughout the day, like always. Emersyn's dull eyes stared at the clock, wishing time would speed up so her parents could come home quicker. Her days were spent doing chores, exercising, and playing video games while she was left to herself. The walls became dreary and boring when she was confined to the suffocating barriers of her house. She could only take out her frustrations on the punching bag so much, or run on the treadmill for so long. She was incredibly fit but never had the chance to use her talents outside of her home. Emersyn was itching to leave and find excitement in the outdoors, but her parents refused her to leave the house without their permission. She had grown accustomed to the routine of boredom in her room, where hours passed in a blur of time. Most days she did not know what the date was, and had little care for whether she woke up at 1 pm or stayed awake until 4 am. Summer was a time when girls her age should be out partying, hanging out with friends, and enjoying the nice weather. For fifteen-year-old Emersyn, her energetic mind was trapped inside her prison of a home.

Her parents were gone from 8 am to 8 pm on most days, but the time of their return fluctuated so often that Emersyn was always surprised when they came home. However, the rule was that whenever her parents were gone, she was not permitted to leave the house. Some nights she would be itching with frustration when her parents didn't show up until bedtime, and others she would find herself awkwardly making excuses when they came home hours early. For the first weeks of summer, Emersyn obeyed this rule, but gradually, the growing impatience and eager desire to escape consumed her. She learned to hide herself from the cameras, and plan perfectly for when to leave and return. Her daily adventures became the new routine, and she would leave for hours at a time, getting rides from friends, running freely to do as she pleased, and partying her days away. The ever-present desire for excitement and thrill always won. Emersyn could not be kept isolated from the enjoyment of life, and her rebellious mind would always find a way to find new stimulation.

One evening at around 7:30 PM, Emersyn was running home from a pool party, half-drenched and barefoot. Her chest was heaving and her feet ached from the hard concrete, but the thrill of the night boosted her strides. A smile was still shining on her face as she breathed in the crisp air and felt the last warmth of the setting sun. She was worried that she was cutting it too close, and her parents might catch her being out of the house. They typically came home from 8 to 9 PM, but as she approached the house, Emersyn noticed with relief that their car was not there. She pulled out her phone and hacked into the camera system that her parents installed. After countless hours of trial and error, her witty brain figured out how to turn the cameras on and off from her phone instead of her parent's control. Emersyn disabled the cameras and entered her house, hair still dripping wet. She made her way up the stairs and threw herself quickly in the shower. In case her parents questioned why her hair was wet, Emersyn would have a valid reason this time. There was a list of chores she was supposed to have completed, but the pool party ran longer than she expected, so she finished her shower in a rush and ran down the stairs in a robe.