3 - Recovery

—+*+—
CHAPTER THREE
—+*+—

WHEN SHE OPENED her eyes, she thought for a moment that she hadn't actually opened them at all

WHEN SHE OPENED her eyes, she thought for a moment that she hadn't actually opened them at all. Her vision was dark- pitch dark, and looked the same as when her eyes were closed. It took several moments for her to try and process all that was around her. This waking up felt like her eyelids had been glued together and her body was paralyzed. As her senses slowly returned, Emersyn felt the touch of a wrapped bandage across one eye. It stretched across half her face, leaving her to look like an incomplete mummy. With the other eye, it had not yet adjusted to the dim lights and saw everything as blurry darkness. She blinked slowly and turned her head slightly to see around her. Then, all the pain came in one crashing wave. Her head throbbed like it was being drummed, and she was so delirious she couldn't even process thoughts. Her eyes were unfocused and blurry, causing another headache on top of the pounding one she already had, and her muscles ached from her simply laying there.
All she knew was: there was pain. It hurt to look around like the effort was too great for her throbbing head to bear. The lights were dimmed, which saved her eyes from any further pain, but still, everything hurt.

After a moment of deep breathing, she looked around her again, more clearly now, and saw she was in a small, S.H.I.E.L.D. medical room surrounded by equipment around her bed. To her right were two chairs, one with a redhead in it, and one with a sketchbook.

Emersyn somehow managed to find her voice despite her cracked, dry throat. "I tolerate you." She half whispered, half croaked.

Natasha's face was not a blurry blob anymore and swiveled around to face her, beaming. "I knew you'd wake up soon." She rose to her feet and walked over to Emersyn's side.

"I would wink at you, but I don't think you'd be able to tell." Emersyn smiled, looking up with one eye.

"Yeah, well, you'd make a pretty good mummy." Nat smiled happily. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Yeah, what happened?" Emersyn asked as she tried to recall her memories. She was downloading the S.H.I.E.L.D data in the room with Steve and Nat...

"Baltroc, he was still in the room and regained consciousness and threw a grenade," Natasha explained. "You were still on the computer and didn't see it."

Right, Emersyn was on the computer and saw files with her name on them.. and photos of her as a teenager... and when she finished she grabbed the... USB.

"The USB," Emersyn muttered quickly. "Where is it?

Natasha pulled it out of her pocket and showed it to her. "I kept it safe, didn't look at it."  She set it down on the bedside table for Emersyn to have later.