4 - Disappearance

—+*+—
CHAPTER FOUR
—+*+—

EMERSYN WAS RELEASED from the medical ward, despite her doctor's protests, and decided to spend the rest of her day outside of S

EMERSYN WAS RELEASED from the medical ward, despite her doctor's protests, and decided to spend the rest of her day outside of S.H.I.E.L.D. She was required to come back to the doctor every day until her condition was fully resolved, but Emersyn finally convinced him to let her move about.
The stitches on her head healed quickly, and her concussion was getting better, so that was enough for her to leave the medical ward.
Her eye was still bruised and practically every muscle on her upper half was sore, but she could easily deal with that. Fritz had visited her once and brought in some "get well" flowers, which Emersyn was impressed with because most guys were not so dedicated after rejection. She thanked him and brought the flowers home with her.

Emersyn drove home from the Triskelion slowly, relaxing in the refreshing air that was so stark a contrast from the stuffiness of her medical room. It felt so wonderful to be out in the open and away from the constant bustling of headquarters. Emersyn loved S.H.I.E.L.D, of course, how couldn't she? It was her life and her family, but a part of her still hated how busy and chaotic it was. There was always somebody yelling directions in a loud, controlling voice, people panicking (especially in the medical ward), confidential information passed around, and a bunch of boring, serious guys who order people around. Part of the reason why she was always so energetic was that the entire atmosphere of S.H.I.E.L.D was serious and dull, so somebody had to make it fun.

When Emersyn reached her small apartment, she received a text before she could step in the door.

NICK FURRY: We need to talk about what's on that hard drive.

Intrigued, she replied quickly.

Okay, when do you want me to be there? I just got home.

NICK FURRY: There's something else too. It might not be anything, but if it is, we need to act now. Project Insight might be compromised.

She felt the hair lift slightly up on her arms as she read the words. Project Insight was prepared to launch in a few days, and it would be the most influential action S.H.I.E.L.D. had ever done. Emersyn was slightly nervous about the launch because there were hundreds of things that could go wrong, and they needed this project to work without fail.

What do you need me to do?

Her eyes were glued to the screen as the typing bubble popped up, and disappeared, and popped up, and disappeared. Then it didn't come back. Emersyn huffed in annoyance and set the phone down so she could take off her shoes. Now, finally inside her house, she tore off her gear and grabbed a snack from the fridge. Fury wasn't one to leave her on read, but it was still frustrating to watch the text bubble appear and wait for an answer.