10 - Fugitives

—+*+—
CHAPTER TEN
—+*+—

THE TRIO TOOK A SEAT at a small wooden table and was provided with three coffees

THE TRIO TOOK A SEAT at a small wooden table and was provided with three coffees. Steve sat down and let his eyes travel the room warily, searching for any suspicious activity. Emersyn did the same and greeted Natasha with a nod.

"Where is it?" Steve asked quietly.

"Safe," Natasha replied bluntly.

"Do better," Steve snapped through clenched teeth.

"Fury gave you the drive, didn't he?" Emersyn inquired, even though she guaranteed she knew the answer.

Steve hesitated a moment and gazed deep into her eyes as if searching for something. Emersyn locked his gaze. "Yes," he answered. "What's on it?"

"We think it has information on Project Insight." Natasha lowered her voice and raised the coffee mug to her lips. "Fury told Emersyn that before he..."

Steve nodded. "What else did he say?"

"Shield was compromised, I needed to find the hard drive and not trust anyone. That's it." Emersyn said.

"I bet you two knew Fury hired the pirates?" Steve said in a low, gravelly tone.

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you." Natasha defended.

Steve was openly frustrated. "So all of this, why?"

"We don't know," Emersyn muttered, sipping her coffee.

"But I know who killed Fury," Natasha spoke up.

Steve and Emersyn's attention immediately shifted to her words. "Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists. The ones that do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years." Natasha said with an edge of fear in his voice. The way she spoke about him made Emersyn's hair creep up.

"So he's a ghost story," Steve concluded.

Emersyn had heard talk of the Winter Soldier among the older shield agents, and Natasha had described their previous encounters, but she never thought he would come to haunt her too. The idea of a man, living and killing freely for half a century was terrifying, like something out of a horror film.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran," Natasha continued in a low, serious tone. "Somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff. I pulled us out. But the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer so he shot him, straight through me." Natasha lifted her shirt slightly so her lower abdomen showed scarred skin from a bullet wound. "Soviet slug. No rifling. Bye-Bye bikinis."