Chapter Two

"You're Elmer Kasparzack?" she choked out.

He shrugged, like he wasn't quite sure what else she wanted him to say.

She considered just turning around and going home right then and there. She hadn't expected the boy to look like her father. How was she expected to keep herself composed if she had to look into his eyes everytime he was around? Which would be quite a bit, if she were to... what? Guard him? Oh, man. He was gonna think she was a freak, wasn't he? She'd gotten way too ahead of herself. She couldn't just barge in and tell him that he was in potential danger, but that she'd make sure he wasn't hurt in the process. Who did she think she was?

He was still staring at her.

She cleared her throat. "Elmer, I came because your brother's gotten himself into something he won't be able to get himself out of easily. Now, he's willing to do whatever The Unknowns ask of him. He's planning to go after you."

Elmer stood looking at her, mouth agape. "My bruddah."

She nodded slowly. "Yes, the oldest."

"I don't have an old-ah bruddah."

Her fingers jolted. "Excuse me?"

His eyes narrowed at her. "I dunno who you think you are, but-"

"I'm telling you," Évangéline interrupted, "it said in the letter-" she sincerely wished her mother hadn't taken it with her- "that your brother wanted the objects you guys are keeping here, or he'd go after you."

Emer looked conflicted. He opened his mouth, then closed it. "Are ya sure-"

An arm was suddenly around her throat, yanking her backwards. As she scratched at the person's arm in self-defence, Dipper shot forward, clutching the arms of the newsie behind her. "Al, she's armed!"

There was a pause, but it was enough time to get the upper-hand. Out came the sword, away from him, but held threateningly enough to let him know she wouldn't hesitate to defend herself. "Two times in a day," she hissed. "That's not a good start, mon ami."

"P.B..." the boy behind her trailed off. "Placide? Placide Beaulieu? That's his sword?"

She froze as he let go, stumbling back. "You know him?"

"Yeah, we know him," the blue-clad newsie said. "He's dat guy who dealt wit dat oth-ah guy, Quavillion, a few years back. I've even met him once. What's he ta you?"

"He was my father."

He met her gaze. "Was, huh?"

She looked down.

"Alright, let's all jus back up for a moment." Elmer came around, putting distance between her and the newsies. "Did we know each oth-ah in our childhood, or somethin'?"

She frowned. "Don't think so."

"Have ya had dis crush on me fa as long as you could rememb-ah?"

"No?"

"I ain't s'posed ta bring ya someplace?"

She scratched her head. "Not that I know of..."

He sighed. "I guess it's too much ta ask dat we jus happened ta run into each other fa no reason?"

Évangéline tilted her head. "Is there a pattern to these questions, or is it just me?"

"You wouldn't get it," Dipper said, smiling slightly.

"Okay, okay." Elmer covered his eyes. "So you got a lett-ah. Tha lett-ah said my old-ah bruddah was aft-ah me. I don't have an old-ah bruddah. Plus, it said we have access ta all tha objects, which we don't. We only have tha violin." From the corner of her eye, she saw Dipper and Amy averting their gazes, appearing almost sheepish. "And fa some reason I get dis message from a goil weldin' a sword. It's like Domino all ov-ah again." He sighed. "What is goin' on?"