Chapter Seven

Things everyone should probably be reminded of before we proceed:

- We're still unsure whether Lane's dad faked his own death or not. People believe he's alive, but only time will tell.

- Dipper and Evangeline had a conversation about the letter that brought her to the lodge, as it was from Trek to Evangeline's mother. They theorized that the two had once been close.

- Dipper's entire family has been kidnapped.

- Evangeline has claimed that she usually can't get herself to fall asleep before the church bells ring, which happens at twelve.

- William is still a jerk.

Also, this is an extremely long chapter. 5k words. Don't read this right away unless you have the time lol.

"It's been so long."

Katherine glanced over at her. "You sure you want to do this?"

Amy scoffed. Turning, she gestured to the two boys that had tagged along. "You really think I got those two on board just to turn around?"

"Why are you making it sound like that was such a hassle?" Bill questioned. "You and Katherine showed up, and Darcy was already pulling on his shoes before you even said hello."

Amy paused. "I guess I just feel a lot more hesitant with everything that has to do with William or my father. In this case, both."

Bill shook his head. "I can't believe your brother's still going after that poor girl. She doesn't stand a chance."

"Dipper?" Amy tilted her head. "Oh, they're not talking anymore. Why do you think he's been so unbearable lately?"

Bill blinked, then turned to look at Katherine. "That quiet girl with the black hair?" When both girls nodded, Bill frowned. "How'd she do it? You know William. He never takes no for an answer, and I doubt it was him who let her go."

"From what I heard, she went pretty hard on him when she said goodbye." Amy considered the conversation they'd had about it. "Albert was there, as well. If she'd never met him... Bill, I hate to say it, but you'd probably be right. She'd be stuck with him forever."

"What did Albert do?" questioned Darcy.

"Just gave her a push in the right direction," Amy answered. "It was all she needed."

"Guys," Katherine said, "not to interrupt or anything, but won't people get the wrong idea if they see us just standing outside here?"

"What wrong idea is there to get?" Bill questioned as Amy silently opened the door, looking around. "We technically are breaking in."

She hit him good-naturedly. "Say it a bit louder, I don't think everyone in this city was able to hear you."

He nudged her back, and together they wandered inside. Amy led the group, finding new hallways at every turn, doors upon doors upon doors. Her father had always liked to remain mysterious. She eventually stopped in front of a door like all others, knowing what lay beyond it.

Her father's filing cabinet of a room.

"You guys go in," she instructed. "I'm staying out here. If anyone shows up and sees me, they won't think too much of it. I can cover it up and just tell them that I was picking something up."

"You sure?" Bill questioned. "No one who lives here seems like the forgiving type, exactly. They might get suspicious and figure out what you're up to. If you come in, there's less chance of them finding any of us."