Chapter Nineteen

"What're you two doin'?"

Dipper and Amy both glanced up at Albert, who was leaning against the doorframe. Hesitantly, Dipper lifted the chess board so he could see it. "Jus checkin'."

Albert frowned, nearing them. Nobody missed the glance over his shoulder. "You think someone's been close enough ta take somethin'?"

"Like she said," said Amy. "Jus checkin'."

He crossed over the few final steps between them, crouching down. They all gazed over at the space beneath the floorboards where the objects lay. "I take it everything's where it's supposed ta be?"

"So far, so good," Dipper murmured. "You jus nev-ah know, wit..."

Albert caught her meaning. "Yeah."

The Lights had been in and out of the lodging house since they'd arrived the week before. Dipper hated to think that they couldn't be trusted, but she knew they had their own agenda that they didn't intend to share with the class. The newsies had, thus far, done their jobs. Safe-guarded the stolen objects. But there was no telling what The Lights had planned — it was possible they would want to take the objects and figure it all out themselves. Therefore, they had a motive.

Dipper knew how crucial it was that the objects stay hidden in the lodge. The question was, how long would they be able to hide them?

"All he-ah," said Amy, pulling Dipper from her thoughts. "I guess I bett-ah go see what kind of trouble Romeo is causin'."

Both Dipper and Albert watched her leave, honey-blonde curls bouncing. Dipper couldn't stop from saying what was on her mind every time she looked at the girl. "Sometimes, I wish I was her."

Albert turned towards her, frowning. "What? Why?"

Dipper scrunched her shoulders up to her ears, embarrassed. "I dunno. She jus seems so perfect." She was quiet for a moment. "Even as a kid, she was. It ain't hard ta see why William was so jealous 'a her."

"You think he was jealous?"

Dipper nodded. "He used ta talk about her a lot ta me. The way he would describe her was always so different from who she really was, very mean-spirited, but I knew what he meant when he said she was the golden child. It drove him nuts dat their faddah worried about her safety tha most."

"Dat family is messed up." Albert shook his head. "But why would you be jealous?"

Her cheeks burned. She opened her mouth to say that she wasn't jealous, but the words wouldn't come. Truth was, she was jealous. "It jus all seems so easy fa her. She dealt wit William on her own, she got Romeo instantly, and-"

"Whoa, whoa." Albert stopped her. "Who told you she got Romeo instantly?"

Dipper frowned. "Jack. He said dat from tha moment dey met, dey both liked each oth-ah."

Albert laughed, confusing her even further. "Lil' Dipper, Romeo practically cheated on her wit her sist-ah."

She gaped at him. "Laura?"

She'd heard about the poor girl's death. But Romeo having an affair with her? The newsies had failed to mention that part of the story.

"Obviously dey's fine now — well, Amy 'n Romeo is — but it wasn't all easy." Albert smirked. "Plus, if you was her, you'd be datin' dat bum."

Dipper smacked him lightly. "Dere's nothin' wrong wit Romeo."

He caught her hand. "And dere's nothin' wrong wit you."