Chapter Ten

Domino and Lane practically sprinted towards the cathedral, stopping onto to catch their breath when they came across the trolley lane. And even that was only to let a trolley pass.

"Let's go, let's go," Lane urged, grabbing Domino's wrist and hauling her along. They were so close. So close.

"Ise comin'," huffed Domino, unappreciative of the way Lane was dragging her.

Lane couldn't care less. She was about to be with her father again. She doubted even Frisks could bring her down from this increasing excitement she was experiencing.

No one could.

The world rushed past her as she ran. People paused to gawk at the two girls running like mad through the city, and she couldn't blame them. She didn't want to know how she looked to the other civilians of the city. They eventually made it to the cathedral, having just passed by the corner when Domino halted suddenly, causing Lane to stop as well. "Is dat...?"

Lane's legs almost gave out when she recognized the bruised, unconscious man propped against the garbage bin, his frostbitten wrists bound and chained to the lid. Shaking, Lane slowly made her way over to him. "Trek?"

Nothing happened for a long moment. It wasn't until she dropped to her knees and checked for a pulse did he stir. She placed comforting hands on his shoulders as he readjusted to the world around him. "Trek? Trek, hey, it's me. It's Lane."

"Oh, Lane." With some effort, he met her gaze. "You shouldn'a come."

"It's okay." She smiled at him, more for his sake than anything else. It pained her immensely to see him in such a worn down state. "Ise gettin' ya outta he-ah. And yer family. Ise gonna find dad — he'll help us."

His face tightened, as though she'd struck him. "He ain't tha man ya think he is."

"I know," Lane said. "I've known fa a while. But even if he wasn't tha poifect faddah, he still deserves a second chance."

"No, I..." Trek swallowed. He seemed to have some trouble getting the words out. "He... dey killed her. Dey killed my sons. Dey'll go aft-ah you next. Go home, Lane. Please, jus go home."

"No, stop, please." Hardly without her noticing, she'd begun to cry. Whether it be because his life had turned out so terribly, or because she felt so frustrated at not having found him sooner, she didn't know. She didn't know, and she didn't understand. Why couldn't he see? "I have no home. Don't ya get it? I have no family. But if I find dad, I will. We will."

"You have family," wheezed Trek. "Finch. Dipper, me. All tha newsies. Dey's yer family."

"But my real family is jus a few seconds away," she said, desperate for him to understand. "He's right he-ah, in tha cathedral. And aft-ah I bring him out he-ah, we'll get you home, too."

"It's okay," he whispered. "Dey'll let me go, now."

"What?" She stared at him. "Why would dey?"

Trek clenched his jaw. "'Cause I ain't tha one he wanted."

She opened her mouth to say something, but was startled by the sound of bells ringing. She turned, realizing they'd come from the church, beckoning her. She quickly stood. "I'll be right back, don't worry."

Trek winced. "Lane-"

"He'll help us," she promised.

Trek may have said something else, but she was already gone.

She hastened to reach the doors of the cathedral, only then realizing that Domino was no longer by her side. Turning back, she saw that the girl was lingering a ways behind, looking uncertain.