Chapter Fifteen

Quick reminder: Morris, on behalf of Oscar, came to the lodge, begging Lane for help. Apprehensive, and rightfully so, Lane said that she'd think about it.

This is just after the events of that have transpired. We will see how the newsies react...

The air practically reeked with the tension Morris Delancey had left behind. Dipper had watched as he left, feeling sorry for the boy who'd apparently come to his senses. Yet she knew he would have to say more than a pathetic excuse of an apology to convince Lane. Not that Dipper thought she was wrong in that regard — if she had a sibling who'd abandoned her, she'd require more proof, too.

Half the newsies were proposing they go after Delancey with papes and a half formed plan, which Jack ceased immediately with a piercing whistle. All the boys turned towards their leader as he stepped up onto a table, gathering everyone's attention to himself.

"Whatev-ah jus happened wit Delancey," he began, "dat's Lane's problem. Maybe Finch's, 'cause he's closest ta her. But it don't concern anyone else until I say it does. Right now tha only thing yer doin' is gettin' yer noses in Lane's buisness."

"But Jack, it's Morris!" protested Sniper.

"It's her bruddah," the boy retorted. "Morris didn't come he-ah makin' threats. He came ta talk ta his sist-ah, 'n as much as we might not like it, he has dat right." He held up his hand as another wave of complaints rose up into the air. "If Lane allows it."

From her pheripherials, Dipper saw Lane cross her arms, sinking against the wall she'd been leaning against. If her stance was anything to go by, the girl was uncomfortable with the conversation surrounding her and her family but wasn't fully convinced she wanted to step in.

"What if he's usin' her ta get ta us?"

Lane froze. A muscle in her jaw ticked. And then she decided to break her silence. "Do I really seem dat dumb ta you?"

Everyone turned to look at her, tilting their heads and narrowing their eyes. She pushed herself off the wall. "Obviously I know he ain't completely trustworthy — I've known him longer than any 'a you. If I find, even fa one second, dat he's up ta no good, he'll be outta tha picture before anyone can even ask ta have him removed. But Oscar's in trouble, so's he's desperate. And he came ta tha only person who might give him a chance. Me." She looked around the room. "Us."

Of course, no one was overly fond of the inclusion of the newsies.

"Look, there is a way we can throw him off." Amy made her way across the room to where Dipper and Lane were standing. "So we know, if he starts getting curious, what he's up to."

Dipper shot her a dubious glance, wondering why it seemed like she was trying to involve the two other girls into this. "And that would be...?"

Amy fixed her attention on the two. "Do you remember when we had dat meetin'?"

"We had lots 'a meetin's," Lane deadpanned.

"Where we talked about The Unknowns 'n Jack..." the blonde prompted encouragingly.

It hit Dipper so suddenly that she snorted. "What, dat we fake his death?"

Jack blinked. "Dat we what now?"

"If you're in hiding," said Amy, raising her voice, "The Unknowns won't bother goin' after you if they think someone else beat 'em to it, and Morris will show his true colours if he isn't already. You'll be safe."

"Yeah, can we not?" said Race. "All this will only make us think about Jack dyin'."

Lane played with the ends of her hair. "Could be good practice." Race turned towards her. She arched an eyebrow. "Unless somethin's changed 'n yer not Jack's second in command?"