6

Wen Ning's head was lowered and his arms hung down, as if he was a puppet waiting for orders.

His face was pale and delicate and handsome in a melancholy sort of way. However, his eyes were full white, and black lines crept up his neck and face so the melancholy turned into frightening gloom. His clothes were ragged and torn, with chains and black cuffs on both his wrists and ankles that rattled when he moved.

Everyone, along with Wei Wuxian, were in upheaval.

It wasnt that Wen Ning shouldnt be here but that Wen Ning shouldnt be in this world! He was supposed to be turned to ashes.

With the shouts of Wen Ning's name, Jin Ling turned his attention to the moving corpse. Seeing him distracted, the goddess gladly extended her arm and picked him up.

Wei Wuxian didnt waste a second and began playing again, giving Wen Ning his orders. The Ghost General attacked the goddess, hitting her neck. It cracked but didnt move,but her head was twisted. He gave another blow, smashing the hand that held Jin Ling.

She turned to face Wen Ning and Wei Wuxian commanded Wen Ning to fight. However, not long had passed when he became even more shocked.

Wen Ning wasnt conscious!

He was both shocked and doubtful as a few cries of alarm came from the crowd. Using his arms and legs, Wen Ning had secured the goddess on the ground. He picked up a rock taller than the height of humans and lifted it above the goddess. He slammed it onto her with great force until she was in pieces.

A marble core rolled out of the stone pieces, filled with the souls she consumed. If handled carefully, some people could get their souls returned. However, nobody made any effort to pick it up. All were focused on the Ghost General.

The crowd tried hyping themselves up to corner and surround Wen Ning. Wen Ning defended himself against the swings and turned the swords away from him. Right afterward, he gripped the neck of the person closest to him. With no effort, he was lifted off the ground. Wei Wuxian swiftly changed his tune of the flute, realizing the notes were too sharp.

A softer and more tranquil melody played and caught Wen Ning's attention. He put the person down and slowly walked towards Wei Wuxian. Wei Wuxian stood still, making eye contact with the corpse.

As Wen Ning got closer, Wei Wuxian coaxed him into the forest. They walked like this for a short distance before Wei Wuxian caught a familiar sandalwood scent.

His back bumped into someone. With a grab of wrist, the flute melody stopped. Wei Wuxian turned to look and locked eyes with Lan Wangji.

It was too late. Lan Wangji had just seen him controlling corpses with a flute.

Lan Wangji used one hand to keep a steady grip on Wei Wuxian. Wen Ning stood still, slowly looking around as if looking for the melody. The crowd were drawing closer. Wei Wuxian made his decision. Many people had taken to the Yiling Patriarch's methods.

He raised his arm, ignoring Lan Wangji's grip, and continued playing. These notes were faster, as if urging or scolding. His air was unsteady and each note cracked at the end. Suddenly, the grip tightened, almost breaking his wrist. Wei Wuxian's fingers loosened from the pain and the flute dropped to the ground.

Wei Lin showed up and just barely caught a glimpse of Wen Ning before the corpse retreated, disappearing into the forest. Wei Lin went to follow when Wei Wuxian shook his head at him and the younger twin obeyed.

Fearing that Lan Wangji would try to follow, Wei Wuxian grabbed onto Lan Wangji's arms. Surprisingly, Lan Wangji's gaze did not waver from Wei Wuxian.

At that time, Jiang Cheng also showed up.