23

The waiter, "Take it easy. I was just about to mention that. Everyone did die. Although I said that he survived, it was only for a short while. After a few years, the clan's head, Chang Ping, died as well. This time, the death was even more horrifying. He was killed by lingchi with a sword! I don't need to tell you what lingchi is, do I? It's when the flesh on someone's body is piece by piece sliced off with a saber or a sword for three thousand and six hundred times, until all of the flesh is gone and there's only a skeleton left..."

Of course, it was impossible for Wei WuXian not to know what lingchi was. If somebody wanted a book called A Thousand Ways to Die Agonizing Deaths, he'd have been the person who was most qualified to write it. He raised a hand, "I understand. Then, do you know why the Chang Clan was wiped out?"

The waiter, "I heard that it was planned by another cultivational sect. That's for sure, right? Or else, why did a bunch of people who could cultivate fail to escape? They were definitely trapped inside by something or someone."

In case the conversation wasn't going well, the owner of the shop even brought over two side dishes of peanuts and sunflower seeds. Wei WuXian nodded in acknowledgement, and continued while eating sunflower seeds, "Did anyone find out what exactly the something or someone was?"

The waiter laughed, "Young Master, now you're just joking. How could we ordinary people who are just trying to get through life know anything about those who fly around in the skies? Logically, you guys should know more than me since you all cultivate. I've only heard some vague talk of of how they offended someone whom they shouldn't have! Anyways, after that, nobody was left in charge of the evil beings around Yueyang."

Wei WuXian pondered, "Somebody whom they shouldn't have offended?"

"That's right." The waiter ate two peanuts, "These sects or whatever indeed hold grudges against the others. I'm thinking that the Chang Clan must have been targeted by the other cultivators. Isn't killing people for the sake of treasures common or something? Those books all said so. Tales and legends as well. Although I don't know who exactly did it, it was apparently related to a very famous villain."
Wei WuXian smiled as he lifted the liquor bowl to his lips, glancing sideways at him, "Let me guess. You're gonna say that you don't know who the villain was?"

The waiter cracked up, "Guess again. I definitely know this one. He was called something along the lines of 'peculiar'... Right, 'patriarch'. The YiLing Patriarch!"

Wei WuXian choked, letting out a series of bubbles into the liquor bowl with a splash, "What?" Him again?!

The waiter confirmed, "Yep, that's right! His surname was Wei. He's called Wei WuQian, (Wei Ziyou snickered under his hand) I think. People sound both hateful and scared when they mention him. And his twin! Wei Yizou, I believe! (Wei Wuxian coughed to cover his laughter with Wei Ziyou kicking him in the side) They say he's still around in hiding!"

"..."

Wei WuXian thought over it and determined two things—One: He had never been to Yueyang before, and two: Among all of the people he had killed, none of them died by lingchi. He felt that this was a bit absurd and looked over at Lan WangJi, as if he wanted an explanation. Lan WangJi had been waiting for this look since quite a while ago. He replied, "We are leaving."

Wei WuXian immediately understood. Lan WangJi had something to say to him and it couldn't be said in the liquor shop, under everyone's noses. He stood up, "Then let's leave. How much... Right, it's been paid already. I'm leaving the liquor here for now. I'll continue drinking after we finish." He added, half-jokingly, "Make sure it's still here when I get back."

Having already finished more than half of the plate of peanuts, the waiter responded, "Of course! Our shop is honest to everyone, from the old to the young. Leave 'em here and don't worry. We'll wait until you come back to close our shop. Hey, Young Masters, are you going to the Chang Residence right now? Whoa, now that's pretty cool—I'm from the area and I haven't even been there! I've only dared to sneak a few looks at it from far away. Are you two going inside? What are you going to do?"