十六

Say, If Everything Was Forgotten
ねぇ, もしも全て忘れられたなら

Exactly as Yuta said, the whole week was extremely hectic and not smooth for Sei as well. Where Yuta was busy doing his favourite thing—playing soccer, Sei was dragged into several class duties, decoration duties and not to mention heavy band practices under Yashiro's watch.

Sei never knew being in a band required so much work. Choosing a song which had to meet everyone's opinion, changing it again since someone was having an unexpected problem with it then assign different parts to different persons according to their preferences and solve their arguments about wanting each others' parts—finally start practicing properly took a lot more time and energy than expected.

"Because my chest is hurting again, don’t say anything more," Ryo's soulful, melodious voice oscillated in the quiet music room where the band members had gathered to prepare their song for the school festival.

Umi followed him with her soft, dulcet tones, "Say, if everything was forgotten, would living without crying be possible?" The song Kokoronashi (心做し) by Sou was chosen on the millionth request of Sei as Ryo—their lyricist and lead vocal was too lazy to write a new song.

Their senior Kabe Tadashi was their composer and his absence also helped Sei to succeed. There was a condition placed by Yashiro though, that the band had to perform a Japanese traditional song as well.

Yashiro was on the piano, pressing the keys with much care—a bass was kept by his side even though no one was playing it. At these times, anyone could tell how passionate and united the bandmates were despite being so messy at other times.

Sei strummed the strings monotonously—Bm, G, D, A then A/Bb, staring at somewhere far away—getting lost in their voices and devoting her mind to the lyrics. Kokoronashi (without heart)—If everything was forgotten—Ah—Sei closed her eyes—her slender fingers still playing the chords.

A teardrop rolled out of her eyes. If everything was forgotten and forgiven—How nice would it be! After their practice had finished, she went to the classroom to get the to-do list for the next day.

"Hayashi-san," Sei turned around to see a male student of their class whom she had noticed only a few times. "Um—" he was hesitating—making his timid nature clearly visible. "I am really sorry but can you please deliver the to-do list for soccer club to them."

"Erm—" He nervously scratched the back of neck. "I heard that you are close to Nakamoto-san so you can just hand it to him. Please don't misunderstand me," he lifted his arms defensively, "I am not slacking or anything. It's just that—" his eyes wavered, trying to find the right words, "The soccer guys—no, just not them—guys of any sports club kind of terrify me. It has something to do with my middle school experiences."

He handed Sei the list. "Please do me this favour—for just once." He left the class, leaving Sei alone fixated on her position like a stone sculpture.

She moved after a couple of minutes. With every step she took, her legs seemed to get heavier. "It has something to do with my middle school experiences." His words kept ringing in her head, making her feel dizzy.

"Kind of terrify me." The buzzing in her head got so loud that she did not even notice when she entered the soccer club and how Yuta was calling her. "Sei!" He yelled. Bullied―he was bullied in the middle school.

Sei fell on the floor with a loud thud.