二十四

Every Dream Ends
すべての夢は終わります

Despite the bright city lights in Tokyo, the crescent moon stole all the attention in the shady gray sky. Sei could not fall asleep as she had expected. So she stood on the terrace, leaning her body against the hard metallic railing. She could feel the cold wind traveling to deep down in her spine. Her lips quivered as she closed her eyes.

Sei had some secrets—her past—her weaknesses. She did not want to let anyone know about those. —The fear of losing. One of the reasons behind Spring Snow being her favourite novel was that she wanted to believe the writer.

She wanted to be like him but it was hard for her to accomplish that on her own. In his heart, he always preferred the actuality of loss to the fear of it—Yukio Mishima wrote in the novel.

Sei wanted to overcome her fear and tell everyone about her minus points. But she could not since she was—Too much of a coward. The sight of everyone turning their back on her terrified her.

Then again, Every dream ends.

"Why are you spacing out all the time?" A snap of fingers right in front of her eyes brought Sei back to reality. She looked to her side to see Yuta resting his face on his palm, staring directly into her eyes.

"How long have you been here?"

Yuta looked ahead, gazing at the top of a skyscraper. "Long enough to certify that you just returned from a round trip to space," he muttered, letting out a snicker afterwards.

Sei grimaced at his way of putting it. "Can't fall asleep, huh?" She asked, being still slightly surprised at the fact that Yuta was always present whenever she felt down or lost since her transferring schools. "I came out to get a drink," he replied, showing the coffee in his hand. "Then I thought about drinking it while getting some fresh air."

"Yuta and Hayashi?" Hearing the voice of a male student they turned around. It was Tatsuya Hiro, a friend of Yuta. "I had heard rumours about you two dating but did not know it was true."

Both of their jaws dropped. Me and Yuta? Sei thought. I could not even confess to her yet. Yuta was simultaneously shocked as well. "You should have at least told me," he stepped closer.

"Actually we—" Sei got totally cut off when the girl beside Hiro named Aoki Ninako spoke up in her high pitchy voice. "Yuu-chan! How can you date someone when you have me?" Sei's eyes widened. Yuta has a girlfriend?

"He has you?" Hiro pointed at Ninako. "I thought you came up here to make out with me?" Sei felt dizzy with a whole new world in front of her eyes. Everything was going past her brain.

Yuta stifled his laugh. It was common for him to get rumoured with any girl who he had only talked to as all eyes were always on him. Given that him and Sei had spent so much time together, it was quite predictable.

"What? No! I can never betray Yuu-chan!" Yuta finally opened his mouth. "That's what you get, Tatsuya for making out with every single girl your eyes land on," he spoke, clicking his tongue afterwards.

"You have other girls beside me?" Ninako squeaked from beside Hiro. His eyes wavered, getting caught. "Well, Aoki you are cute," Yuta muttered with a chuckle, "But sadly no one's first choice."

Sei's jaw left hanging, visibly giving away the fact that she was speechless. First choice? Cute?

"Yeah," Hiro beamed finding an excuse to reason. "And that's because you keep flirting with every popular guy." Ninako scoffed, attempting to retort, "At least, I am good enough to go out with popular guys."

Yuta took the chance of their argument and got out of there, taking Sei along who was still watching them, being dazed.

When they were finally downstairs, Sei abruptly asked, "Yuta, what did she mean when she said, she has you?" The male let out a laugh. "Something stupid."

"What?" She questioned, raising one eyebrow, "Is she your girlfriend?"

"No," he curtly denied.

"Then you just goofed around with her?"

Yuta cockily smirked, stepping closer to Sei. "Are you perhaps," he tilted his head to the side, "Jealous?" It actually made him feel contented, knowing that she at least paid attention to him.

"You are unbelievable," Sei remarked, rolling her eyes at him, leaving Yuta a laughing mess.