Chapter I: The Beginning

I have always been into Greek mythology ever since I was a kid; I always think that it’s fascinating and great. As a kid I always used to think and imagine what it would be if they were real and if I get to meet them, but those thoughts just stayed as imaginations since they don’t exist. I like all the Greek gods but there is one that I really like that most, its Artemis the Goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth, virginity and young girls.

                For me she is the most awesome Greek Goddess, because she is just so bad ass with her bow and arrow, and she represents the moon and the wild, I guess it’s because I’m sort of a tree hugger and a feminist. That’s why when I met a friend that’s from Athens I didn’t pass that chance when she asked if I want to go there someday. Even though it’s just Athens it would still be a privilege to set foot in Greece and be able to see the temples.

                It was my third day in Athens and my friend Alex asked me to go with her to a party that was hosted by her friend and of course I agreed to go with her since she had been my tour guide for the past two days, and it was in that day that the line between my imagination and reality blurred.

                I was just in a white tank top with a checkered blouse on top of it with the buttons undone and black shorts while Alex was wearing a pink shirt and jeans. We were on our way to her friend’s house while I was riding shotgun in her car. “Hey Nicole, if you feel like going back to the hotel just tell me, okay?” Alex said while focused on the road while only taking small glances at me, “Don’t worry I promise I’ll tell you” I said while smiling. She was pretty worried at me back then since I don’t know all of the people that’ll be in the party except for her, and I can say that it was pretty sweet of her.

                We stopped in front of a beautiful villa and there were a lot of cars parked, and I guessed that her friend is one of those big shots. From the outside, I can already hear the loud music coming from inside the villa and when Alex opened the front door, loud music boomed from the inside. We were greeted by a beautiful blonde girl that is almost at the same height as Alex, the girl then hugged Alex and they were talking for a bit but I couldn’t understand well because of the loud music. “Oh Elizabeth this is Nicole and Nicole this is Elizabeth.” Alex said but I wasn’t able to hear that clearly because of the noise. Her friend then started to speak and smiled at me, but then again I wasn’t able to understand because of the damn noise so I just smiled back and hoped that it wasn’t a question.

                After a while she then led us to her back yard where there were less people and the noise was also a little less. The backyard was pretty big, there was a pool, some trees and bushes on the far end of the yard where it was dark and on the side of the house, near the back door, was a table where the food and drinks were. “So I’ll leave you two here for a while I’ll just attend to the other guests, just enjoy the party okay?” She then smiled and left us, after that Alex then pulled me into a group of people and she introduced me to them.

                We laughed and talked and I was having somewhat having fun, I just wished back then that I studied their language a little more. While talking with Alex and her friends I saw something move on the corner of my eye around the bushes, and when I looked at it I think I saw something like a deer “Is there a forest near here, or do wild animals sometimes wind up here?” I asked Alex, she then shook her head “Nope, why do you ask?” she replied, “Oh it’s nothing” I said and just thought that maybe it was just my imagination but after a while I saw something move around the bushes and thought to myself that maybe I wasn’t really imagining things.

                I told Alex that I’m going to just stretch out and call my mom and went to the other side of the pool, which was a little far from where Alex and the others are, near the bushes. While talking to my mom I looked up to the night sky that was illuminated by a beautiful full moon and I found myself smiling. After the short conversation, I placed my phone back to my pocket and stared at the moon again and closed my eyes to enjoy that gentle night breeze and I found myself smiling again.

                I then heard a rustling around the bushes and when I looked at the bushes I saw a deer, maybe it wasn’t really my imagination but how did a deer ended up here? If Alex was right then there’s supposed to be zero wild animals suddenly appearing here. Out of curiosity I walked closer to the deer it was hidden a little deeper in the bushes.

                As I got closer, I realized that the deer was larger than a normal deer, it was dark behind the bushes and I couldn’t see the details of the deer quite clearly besides its eyes and its horn that somehow seems to shine. I moved slowly towards the deer, it only kept its eyes at me while watching my movements.

                 I slowly reached my hand to try and pet the deer, as my hand got closer the deer moved its ears but it didn’t moved away. The deer closed its eyes as I pet its head and I felt a smile form on my lips. It felt nice being able to touch the deer but it only lasted for a while because the deer opened its eyes and looked at me before suddenly running off deeper in the darkness, I knew that I should be going back to where Alex and the others are but it felt like my feet suddenly moved on its own.

                I followed the deer through the bushes and trees with only the light coming from the moon guiding me, while running after the deer I suddenly tripped on a rock and I fell to the ground and when I got up I suddenly lost sight of the deer. I got up and removed the dirt from my clothes, it was only then that I realized that my surrounding was quiet except from the sounds of the cicada I must have unconsciously ran a little bit too far .

                I wanted to see the deer again but it’s probably time for me to finally go back. I walked back to the same direction that I came from. After a while that I think was about ten to fifteen minutes of walking, I still wasn’t able to see any signs of noise or lights coming from the villa. I was pretty sure that this was the way that I came from, I’m not lost, I couldn’t be lost, or maybe I am really lost but how can that happen? I was pretty sure that this was the way that I came from.

                I pulled my phone from my pocket but it was dead, I was also pretty sure that it still have some juice after talking to my mom. As I placed my phone back to my pocket, I can feel my hands slowly getting sweaty and anxiety slowly creeping in, I tried to keep my cool that time because if I lose it, I really might not get it back, was her backyard really this big? I looked up to a clearing between the trees and stared at the beautiful moon, I then let go of a sigh and closed my eyes to silently pray and hoped that it will be heard.

                While keeping my eyes closed I also listened to the sound of the cicadas to try and calm myself, it was then that I heard something like a lyre playing and a beautiful voice singing. I listened to it and tried to pinpoint where it came from.

                I walked closer to where I think the sound was coming from and it got louder and clearer, I entered the bushes as I get close and on the other side of the bushes and trees that was when I saw the most beautiful place I’ve seen. It was a pond in the middle surrounded by bushes trees and a variety of flowers, beside the small pond was a cypress tree and underneath it was a young girl, she was wearing a white robe and her hair was of the color orange and it was a long and wavy one.

                I wasn’t able to see her face fully since I can only see her side from my position. Lying down beside her are two dogs that appears to be sleeping and around them are fireflies flying. The girl had her eyes closed while she was singing and playing her lyre but I can feel the emotions, it was sad and full of loneliness. I wanted to approach her and ask for help but her voice was just too captivating. After a while of watching I suddenly heard something in the bushes behind me, I was about to turn around but before I knew it something had pushed or bumped me in the back and I was pushed into the open.

___________________________________________________________

There goes the first chapter! I hope you enjoyed reading it, and tell me what you think. Big thanks! x)

PS: Nicole's picture on the side (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

- Ria~