Chapter IV: Dreams and Reality

I hear two girls talking beside me. I slowly open my eyes and saw a white ceiling. I blink a few times to clear my vision, I turn a little to my side and saw a window with white thin curtains. I feel the soft warm rays of the sun touch my face and it made me squint my eyes.

                I slowly sit up and realize that I was lying on a bed with white sheets. I place a hand on my forehead as I felt my head throb. “Ow my head” I say almost a whisper as I rub my forehead.

                I wonder where I am and why my head is hurting this much. I can’t re-call getting myself drunk at the party last night and I also can’t remember that they served liquor. I try to recall how I ended up in this bed exactly but I just can’t seem to remember anything, like my memory is being blocked.

                “Nicole? Thank God you’re awake!” I hear Alex’s voice filled with concern and I turn my head to the side. She sits down on the bed beside me and hugs me. I blink a few times as I wonder why Alex spoke like something bad happened and I saw Elizabeth is standing beside the bed.

                I couldn’t read her expression, she’s just watching us. She stares at me as if she’s studying me. Just what happened last night? I try to search my head again to try and remember what happened but all I could remember was me talking to Alex and her friends, and from there on all I could remember is pitch black.

“Umm... Alex” I say and I felt Alex’s reluctant arms let go of me.

“I’m sorry” says Alex with an apologetic look on her face.

“What happened last night? I can’t seem to remember anything.” I frown as I look at Alex. She looks at Elizabeth first like she’s asking for something but Elizabeth just closes her eyes and Alex sighs deeply.

“You suddenly fainted at the party last night and Elizabeth offered her place for you to rest, since it would be inconvenient if we travel all the way to the hotel.”

                I nod and bit my lower lip as I look down. Fainted? I wonder how. I can’t recall anything that would’ve made me faint. I try to remember anything but I can’t and it only made my head hurt a lot more. I close my eyes shut and rub my forehead to try and contain the pain.

“Nicole don’t stress yourself, just rest. We can stay here until you feel better.” Alex says as she gently lays me down on the soft bed.

“But it wouldn’t be nice if I stay here. I should go back to the hotel instead.”

“It’s fine. You can stay here until your head is feeling better.” Elizabeth then smiles at me and I felt relieved since I though she’s mad or something.

“We’ll leave you so you can rest. If you need me I’ll be around.” Alex smiles at me reassuringly and she reaches her right hand to my face and I noticed that she had an outline of a crescent moon on her wrist. I never knew she had a tattoo. I wonder why I saw this only now.

                I shrug the thought off of my head as I close my eyes. They’re right, I should rest until I’m better. Maybe there’s really nothing and I’m just stressing myself about it. I hear Alex and Elizabeth leave the room and I slowly drift to sleep.

                It feels like I am floating. Where am I? I turn around and saw that I’m in the middle of a forest. The surroundings seem familiar, like I’ve been here before. But where is this place? I look up and saw stars scattered on the night sky.

                I lift my feet and try to walk but I couldn’t. I look down and saw that I was floating from the ground. A white silk sleeveless dress is on me.