Chapter III: Chase Within the Forest

The sound of the battle behind us slowly disappears as we get away and I tighten my arms around Thalia’s waist for support as the horse ran faster and faster. I can also feel her tension, I know she wants to be side by side with her fellow huntresses’ and their Goddess, Artemis.

                As Artemis’ face pop into my head, questions start to fill my head again. I never thought I’d be able to meet the Goddess herself, nor have I ever thought that it will be under these circumstances. “This should be far enough.” Thalia says and I quickly slip my arms off her waist as she goes down from the horse and I quickly follow her down with her help.

                “Where are we?” I ask her as I scan my surroundings with my eyes. We were in the middle of the forest, large tall trees were surrounding us with the moon providing us meager light. “Shh…” Thalia holds a finger on her lips.

                I remained silent as I watch Thalia. She was careful with her every movement and she slowly takes her long bow and an arrow from the side of her horse. She quickly places the arrow on her bow as she pulls the string.

                Thalia kept her gaze towards the darkness within the trees as she carefully moves a couple of steps forward. I follow Thalia’s gaze and there was nothing I could see. Is she seeing something?

                I watch Thalia from behind and as she lowers her bow and I saw her body relax which made mine relax as well. I hope there wasn’t really any danger around us since we already got away from the battlefield.

                Just as I calm myself down, a piercing scream suddenly came from behind me that made my body grow cold and it felt like my ears were being destroyed. I saw Thalia’s lips move as if she was shouting something at me but I wasn’t able to hear anything.

                My vision is slowly fading to black, and it feels like my sould is being pulled out from my body. Just what is happening to me? Just what is happening around me?! It feels like as if I was losing consciousness.

                Just as everything around me is fading into black, I felt something sharp graze the skin on my left cheek and I quickly fell down to my knees on the grass. My vision quickly returns to normal which made my head hurt a lot because it was all too sudden.

                I grasp the grass underneath me with wide eyes as I catch my breath and as I try and process what just happened, but my thoughts were too unorganized.

                “Get up, hurry!” Thalia shouts at me as she grabs my arm and pulls me up to my feet. What the hell is happening? Where did that come from? I look behind me and I saw a large ragged and dirty grey robe on the ground, with Thalia’s arrow pinning it down on the ground.

“What…is that? Why is there… a rag?” I ask Thalia as I try to piece together my sentences.

“That’s not a rag you fool, they are called Shades, restless spirits that reside in the underworld for they have not yet accepted their death.  They roam around at night or wherever it is that’s dark or when a place is not blessed by a God or Goddess. They steal the souls of mortals to claim the bodies as their own.”

“But Artemis is here.”

“Have you not realized how dark it is around us?” I scanned our surroundings again and I noticed that the type of darkness around us wasn’t the same anymore. It was the type of darkness that will send a chill down your spine.

                A cold wind passes through the trees and through us that made me feel a small pang of fear. “I never knew it has spread this far already.” I saw Thalia murmur to herself and she quickly straps her longbow to her back.

                She climbs onto the back of her horse and she pulls out something from her pocket. She throws it at me and I clumsily catch it with my hands. I stare at what Thalia threw at me and saw that it was a silver ring with what seem to be Greek letters engraved within it.

                I stare at it with a puzzled look on my face, a ring? “What is this for?” I ask as I look at Thalia.

“It’s a ring blessed by Mistress. Her every huntress has one.” She holds the reins attached to her horse as she gets ready to leave. Wait, she’s going to leave me?! I silently panic.

“Where are you going? You’re going to leave me here alone?”  I ask her as I hold the ring tightly within my hand.

“I’m going to lure them away from here. Keep the ring with you it will keep them at bay.”

“But where am I supposed to go?”

“Return to your world, to where you belong.”

“How am I supposed to go back? I don’t know where we are, we are in the middle of nowhere!”

“You were able to come here by yourself, you will be able to find your way back on your own.”

“Wait!” I shout at her but she snapped the reins and the horse ran into the darkness of the forest.

                My heart beat doubles as I feel my hands grow cold against the ring in my hand. How am I supposed to come back now? And what did she mean when she said I made it here on my own? I only followed that large deer out of sheer curiosity and before I knew it I was already in the middle of nowhere. I guess it’s true that curiosity kills the cat.

                I fished my cell phone from my pocket in hopes that there’s finally service, but alas my hopes got pulled down again as I saw that there was still nothing. But who am I kidding? How is a cell phone supposed to have any service in the middle of the forest?

                As I argue with myself in my head, I remembered what Thalia told me. Return to my world? I am still in earth aren’t I? I shook my head as I piece together my thoughts again to calm myself down.

                While I was thinking of where to go, I suddenly hear a loud rustling sound with the trees. “Who’s there?” I say as I face the direction of where he sound was coming from. It all became quiet and all I could hear was my own breathing.

                The wind started to blow again and I started getting goose bumps. The rustling sound started once again. It came from my left, then my right, to my back and back to my front. The noise circled on the trees around me, getting louder and louder.

                I couldn’t move my feet, fear was eating me but I still managed to pull myself back together. I grasped the ring tightly within my hand and started running like my life depended on it.

                I could feel that something was following me. I run as fast as I can, my legs not getting tired because of the adrenaline rush.

                I stopped as I got to a small clearing and I was once again bathing under the light of the moon. My hands were on my knees and my throat felt dry as I catch my breath.

                As I straighten myself up, I gathered all of my courage as I slowly turn around to see if I was still being chased. Relief rushed through me as I saw that there was no one behind me, but the feeling of relief was cut short when I turned around.

                I heard another piercing scream and saw a big flash of light. Before I knew it, everything around me fades to black.