Chapter VIII: Recollecting

When I opened my eyes, I felt light. It's as if something heavy was lifted from my shoulders. I slowly sat up and stretched my arms, I couldn't remember what I dreamed about and all I knew is that it wasn't a nightmare, which is a good thing. Even though I felt like I was stuck between a dream and reality the past couple of days, now it feels like it is somehow clearer?

    As I stepped out of the tent, it was like how I woke up yesterday, except this time the huntresses seem to be nowhere to be found, well except for Thalia who seems to be busy with a few papers on a table that was under the tree. My eyes were drawn towards a girl sitting under another tree, she was just a couple of feet away from me. I squinted my eyes to try as my brain slowly processed who it was, and as it slowly sunk inside my head who it was, I could feel my cheeks slowly burning up and my fingertips unconsciously touched my lips.

"Slept well?" I jumped a bit as I heard her soft voice. I quickly pulled my hand down and away from my lips. "Y-yes." I quickly stared at my feet. I could feel her leaning her head down as if she was peeking at my face. My eyes moved to look at her and quickly down at my feet again. I am already feeling embarrassed and I could feel my cheeks blushing a bit more. Is she doing this on purpose? I already don't know how to move anymore and she is doing this. I wanted to walk away and hide, but my feet just wouldn't listen to me.

"Can you remember everything?" She asked softly and I looked up at her. Remembered what? The kiss? My eyes were staring at her as I try to think what she meant. "I guess it does take a while before you can remember everything." She said with her soft voice and I found myself breaking eye contact with her. It was just a kiss, why am I being so uneasy about it? But, it's like there is something else that I am uneasy about. I hope my memory will be back soon, and I hope that painful head ache was for nothing. Ugh, I can already feel my body cringe from the memory of the pain.

While I was busy with my thoughts I heard the girl in-front of me chuckle lightly and I could feel my cheeks warm up again. "Did I do something?" I tried my best not to stutter, and I was glad that I didn't. As she slowly shook her head, she just smiled at me. "Nothing, but I believe you should continue to rest."

While my head was continued to be riddled with thoughts, I heard a familiar voice from the distance, and after turning around, I saw Elizabeth leaving her horse with the other huntresses.

"Nicole!" She greeted me with a smile, and as soon as she got close to where we were standing, Elizabeth took a bow and with a smile still on her face she greeted the girl in front of me, "Good day, Lady Artemis".

What Elizabeth said took a while before it sunk inside my head. Wait, Lady Artemis? THE Artemis? Slowly I found my brain processing several thoughts, and honestly it felt like I was about to go crazy. "Excuse me, Mistress, you need to see something." I heard Thalia's voice as she seem to have approached us without me noticing. "Alright, Elizabeth, please take care of Nicole while Alexandria is away" Artemis said and the both of them started to walk away.

For once I am thankful for Thalia, if she didn't talked to Artemis then I would've been drowning in embarrassment already. "Nicole, are you alright?" Elizabeth asked as she placed her hand on-top of my shoulder. "Y-yeah, but I think I need to sit down".

*****

Elizabeth and I both sat on a tree log while I blankly look at the wooden cup with water that's within my hands. For some reason I felt stupid when I found out who she was. How could I have missed it? Here I call myself an enthusiast of Greek Myth and I wasn't even able to recognize her! Not just once but twice!

I was slowly tracing back my memory, from the moment I got lost in Elizabeth's backyard and up to what happened last night. Last night.. I could feel my cheeks slowly burning again, I didn't know how I was supposed to react. Not just my blocked memories started to flood in, even what happened last night started to pop in my head. Why now?