Conversations

The smell of disinfectant wafted in my nose. Hospitals never changed. The eternal smell of sickness and death clung to these places like a ghost clinging to the world.

But, my baby was in here and I wasn't going anywhere. I dismissed Beth with a smile and a thanks and made myself comfortable. Josh slept motionless in his bed. Or at least, I pretended he was asleep. It was easier that way.

"Hey, querido. I had a hectic day at the office today. My boss is a total asshat.", I said and paused.

" I know..... I know I am not supposed to swear, in case you are listening but I am on the edge here. I haven't heard from Ethan yet. Oh, by the way, did I tell you, that he......that he got this job far away. It's in Afghanistan. You know better than me why I'm worried. You are smart. But, he needed to go. So, I am all alone. A bit crappy. But, I've got cool friends, ya know. Lola is very beautiful and we shared a drink today. I think it's my last day at the office today. It's not the kind of place you would like me working at and I really want to be a good example to you. My mom wasn't....isn't. Huh! I guess what I'm trying to say is, it would be a really good time to wake up. I could use your advice.", I blabbered on squeezing his hand.

His fingers didn't move.

I laughed mirthlessly, my throat tightening and eyes brimming. I put my head on my folded hands and rested myself against the bed.

"It's just so hard, Joshie....so hard to do this without anyone.", I said in a hushed voice.

"I know that I am supposed to be kickass Boss Lady but I have no idea what to do. Honestly, I am just surviving here.", I confessed to him.

I rested there for some time and then resolutely rubbed my eyes.

There was work to do.

Georgiana had sent me the list of board members and new additions. The only way to remove Jules out of the CEO position would be a vote of no-confidence by a majority among the board of directors.

Technically, the same had happened to me but if I could show the members that Jules was unfit to run the company, I would have a fighting chance.

And the key to that plan was on this list.

Jamie Kincaid

Francois Gauthier

Ellis Garcia

Jane Marconi

These were the biggest players on the list and the ones who were against me. Out of the nine people in the board, these were the four I needed to get on my side. The others would tide over soon.

The plan was simple. Play nice or play bad or bribe, I needed to convince them of my importance in the company. I just needed the perfect opportunity to make a move.

My phone rang. Without seeing the ID, I picked it up.

"I heard you had an eventful first day at the office. You even managed to impress Aslan, 'The Tiger'", said Jamal in the way of greeting.

"But, he didn't impress me.", I replied in the way of greeting.

Jamal chuckled.

"You are one who is jobless now. The boss doesn't need to impress you.", he reminded me.

" Yeah, well, I am leaving the job tomorrow, so there's no question of impressing me any more.", I went in for the kill.

He went silent on the other side.

"Do I receive an explanation for this?", he asked softly.

I picked an invisible thread out of my dress.