Sisters of the Heart

"Just go, querida.", Georgiana said affectionately rubbing my cheek.

"We're all here to look after Josh. You have your show today.",said Beth. Her voice was soft and kind.

"Five minutes more, guys."

I squeezed Josh's tiny hand. He was fast asleep. His speech had been slow since yesterday and his movements, whatever little had been difficult. Doctors were trying to figure out the extent of the nerve damage due to the prolonged coma.

I was afraid he would never regain full functionality. He had been confined to bed till now and did not know that his legs were not functioning. I didn't know how to tell him.

There was knock on the door.

"May I come in?", came a strangely familiar voice.

"Jules?", Georgiana said sharply.

A pale, blond woman, with sunken cheeks entered. Jules was unrecognisable, a mere shadow of the person she used to be. I barely sucked in a gasp at her condition. She had become rail thin in the span of three months. Only her protruding belly gave any sign of her pregnancy.

"What are you doing here?", I asked, my tone harsh and unforgiving.

"I am not here to fight.", she said tiredly. " I am just here to see my nephew."

"You have no right to call him that!Get out! I am calling security right now!", Georgiana said indignantly.

"Shh!", I said but the damage was already done. The noise had woken Joshua.

"Fuck! I'm sorry.", Jules muttered.

Blinking slowly he turned his head.

"Ma-ma? Tia?", he said, his eyes wide with confusion.

Before, I could say anything, Jules stepped forward slowly.

"Hey,my sweet.", she said ruffling his black hair.

Josh's tiny arms, went around his tia. I looked away, anger seething in me.

"W-why did you n-not come to se-e me, t-tia?", he said softly while his head lay cradled on her chest.

"I am sorry, baby. I was busy. I didn't know you had woken up. I am so sorry.", she said. The corners of her eyes had gone red. She was struggling to hold back tears.

My throat had gone heavy as well.

"He needs his rest, Jules.", I said quietly.

But, she didn't listen.

"I think you will forgive me after this. You are going to be a big brother, Josh.", she whispered.
He gasped softly. His eyes grew rounded with wonder. Then a small, tremulous smile appeared on the corner of his lips.

"You are going to have a baby sister, Josh.", she said and in that moment all I wanted was this innocent child to be protected. Jules had once protected my son. How could I not love hers in return?

Hate was too complicated when it came to the ones you loved.

"M-ma?", he whispered.

" Yes, I know. I know. I am sorry I didn't tell you. I didn't want to ruin the surprise."

Jules sniffed and rubbed her eyes on the back of her sleeve.

"I have to go work, baby but I'll be back. I promise.", she said and kissed him on both cheeks.

He smiled again and she laid his head back on the pillow.

She walked away from the bed and stopped right in front of me.