O Hell No

"I need a favor", huffed out an impatient Ellis Garcia from the opposite side of the table. We were both sitting at one of those swanky roof-top cafes in LA.

I took a bite of my cilbir. Emir had gotten me into this unfortunate habit of having cilbir, a Turkish version of poached eggs. The cool garlic yogurt and the creamy egg yolk melted on my tongue. It removed a lot of unpleasantness.

"Of course, anything for you Ellis.", I replied playing it cool. I already knew what she was going to ask. I already knew what I was going to ask in return. It was practised and rehearsed. It was like a scripted reality show.

"There is a delicate matter, I need you to attend to."

I raised my eyebrows while taking a sip of the cay(Turkish tea) .

She was fiddling nervously with her pearl necklace.

"My daughter was rejected from Aslan-Lemaire after the first round of interviews. She didn't get a call back. You handle PR. I was hoping you would....make a recommendation."

I smiled inwardly.

The fish had taken the bait.

"Aslan-Lemaire has ordered a hiring freeze as you know. I would have done something but it's out of my hands."

She looked around nervously and then whispered pointedly, "It would be much appreciated."

"If you insist, Ellis, I can look into it.", I said vaguely, not making any promises yet.

"It will certainly aid my decision if you look out for me as I am looking out for you.", I continued with a smile.

Mrs. Garcia was nothing if not perspective.

"There are talks of a vote.", she said rotating her coffee mug gently. " There are talks of you returning back to the company."

"There are always whispers.", I shrugged.

"If you secure this internship for my daughter, I can make the scales tip in your favor.", she offered.

Little did she know that the scales were already tipped in my favor.

But whatever.

The less she knew, the easier it would be.

I gave her my winning smile.

She stood, straightening her dress.

"Right, well! Should my daughter expect a call next week?", she reconfirmed.

"I will personally give her one."

She put her shades on and left.

Two tables away, someone neatly folded the LA Times neatly and gave me a tiny smirk.

Then, the said person came over to my table and tried to steal a bite of my cilbir.

I smacked his hand with the spoon.

"Get your own egg, Aslan.", I mock growled.

"I take it that went well. There's no blood on the tablecloth.", he said pretending to examine the table.

I laughed.

"I am a professional, Emir. I never leave evidence behind.", I quipped.

The waiter served him a fresh pot of tea.

"It seems that there is a fundraiser tonight, at the Chateau Fontainebleau.", he mentioned casually.

"Not any more of those darn things, Emir. Every evening it's a gala Or a party or a soiree or a damn fundraiser. It's tiring.", I said warily.