2

After dropping Renjun off at his house and him promising to reschedule our hangout, I pulled into a parking space infront of my house for the second time today. Hesitantly, I kicked off my shoes and stepped inside after closing the door behind me. The same welcoming aroma attacked my nose as soon as I walked in. 

"I'm back" I called walking towards the kitchen. "Perfect timing, we were about to set the table." My father said looking at me, and leaning against the counter. He eyed me curiously. "You've grown a lot, kiddo." My dad ruffled my hair and stopped infront of me, to lift my chin. "Chin up son, you're a Na. You have everything to be proud of." He smiled earnestly, which only made me feel less excited about this family dinner thingy. "Yeah, except for our family's broken relationship." I mumbled under my breath walking away from him, and grabbing a few bowls and chopsticks from the cabinet and drawer, heading to the table to set the chopsticks down. I returned to the kitchen only to fill the rice bowls with rice, not even making an effort to smile at my parents.

I carried the dishes my mom had finished dishing up to the table and sat down. "Let's eat." I said dryly. The both looked at eachother in concern, but sat down anyways. Most likely trying not to upset me any more. I began eating the dish closest to me, stopping my face from growing into a smile from the taste, though I was itching to 'wow' from the taste. My mom was a good cook, same as my grandmother. It ran in the family, and I inherited that, too. 

I loved cooking for Renjun whenever he came over. He thought cooking was bothersome, but I thought buying food was bothersome, if I had the perfect ingredients to make something that would keep both of us satisfied longer. He would always complain when he was starving and I'd put on a an apron to start cooking, nagging me about how ordering food was faster, but he never complained after I finished and he was eating happily until his heart's content.

I smiled to myself at the memory of the last time Renjun came over. It was about a month ago. We argued about which one of us nagged the other more, but we ended up forgetting about the entire conversation when Jaemin's new neighbor rang the doorbell and asked for directions to the nearest grocery store. She was an old woman in her early 60's with heavy floral perfume and very vibrant cheetah print yoga pants with a furry purple vest covering her torso. I remember laughing for 10 minutes straight with tears pricking our eyes. His laugh was so contagious and angelic. Everything about him was so addictive and endearing. I loved everything about him, every little detail. 

"Is it good?" My mother's voice pulled me out of reminiscing of other happy moments I shared with Renjun. My smile quickly faded, but I decided that it would be unfair for me to be disrespectful, so I just nodded and chewed my food quietly. My mother smiled at my reply and gave my father a knowing look. 

"Son," my father began, resting his hand on my mothers, rubbing it gently. I looked up unsure of what exactly they might want to bring up at this stiff, family dinner. "You're almost eighteen now, and you'll be going off to college soon, so we prepared a few family activities we can do, so you can attend college with a refreshed mind." The room became quiet, the silence suffocating. They were waiting for my approval. 

"Activities, like what?" I asked restlessly. "A two month trip to Italy.." My father added quietly. "Okay.." My parents let out relieved breaths and smiled at me, but it wasn't going to be that easy. "Under one condition" I said confidently, knowing they would agree even if I asked to have my own private jet there. My mother gestured for me to continue. "I can bring a friend." I said raising  a brow when my mothers face fell.

"I guess that could be arranged. No girlfriends, or is it that friend you brought over today?" She asked. "His name is Renjun, and I don't have girlfriend to take anyways." My father smirked. "You're going to be a bachelor is Europe." I rolled my eyes.