Epilouge

"..like this, two boys were torn apart. Their friendship evidently meant nothing in the end." I looked up at my class. Some of their expressions emotionless while others looked really invested in the story. Many students had their hands holding up their chins in a dreamy way that was honestly hard to tell whether they were interested or not.  Unfortunately, there was no real ending to the heart wretching love story, but my students could still interpret it themselves if they wanted to. 

"That's it?" One of my students asked. Her hair was drawn back into a bun. Her obnoxious, bright red streaks pulled back and hiding in the bun tightly. She was usually one of my worst students. Never paying attention in class, always talking, she even drew a circle for the art project I assigned the class last semester, but today she was all ears, surprisingly interested in a gay love story I interpreted from my favorite students painting. 

My favorite students name was Chaeyoung. She was a very artistic girl. Even if she was sick, she'd come to school just for my art class and leave afterwards. She was very dedicated and very talented. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the next world famous Picasso. "The rest is up to you to decide." I answered, impressed that I got her to pay any attention at all to the story of a heartbroken couple. I smiled proudly and satisfyingly at my favorite student. 

Chaeyoung twirled her fingers around her long, black, locks, smiling at me in return. "Do you mind if I keep this for a few days? I want to show it to my other classes." I set the painting aside, placing it back onto the easel and covering it with a white blanket. "Of course." She answered, smiling. Just as she did, the bell rang officially stating that this class was over. "Okay, that's all for today. This week's assignment will be to paint your saddest memory. I just want to see your emotions through the paint and I want it to tell me a story. I'll have the other details written online, so make sure to check the school page." I collected a few of my items, watching the students flee from the room like a bunch of wild cheetahs. 

I turned around, erasing the blackboard when I felt a light pat on my shoulder. For a moment, I thought it might be my fiancé who was quite the tease, but I quickly realized that I was still in school and that my fiancé didn't get off work for another two hours. I fixed a smile on my face, turning around to greet the student. 

"Oh!" I let out a surprised sound. It was a student of mine. One who was always sleeping in class or doodling random Crayon Shin Chan's all over his paper. "How can I help you, Riki?" I asked After composing myself. "I forgot to turn this in." He said, giving me his sketchbook.  Though, he wasn't the best in class, his turned in assignments were always something to look forward to each week (assuming he turned it in). "Thank you. Though, you're late, I won't deduct points this time, because you still turned it in two weeks earlier than last time. That's two weeks closer to being on time." 

I heard a few snickers form the doorway and looked past his shoulder to see a few other students peering in from the doorway. Riki's eyes followed my gaze which was lingering on the students a bit too long, turning his neck, he smiled.

"Ah, those are my friends. They're waiting for me." Riki said. I was about to invite them to come in, when Riki spoke up. "The painting today..I really liked it." Riki said, somewhat awkwardly. "Do you want to see it again?" I asked, walking over to the easel before I could get a response. I pulled the white tarp off of the easel, my eyes training on the story-telling art peice. I let my eyes really travel the canvas. I looked at the left side: a boy with his back straight facing the outer side of the canvas. In front of him were tall building, shadowy figures blocking them. On the right side was another boy, limp on the floor. Before him were waves, the scary kind that could swallow a person whole. The two boys' backs faced eachother, but they looked awkward alone.

"Niki!" His friends called form the doorway. "Right, I should get going. Thanks for not deducting points." I smiled. "No problem, can I expect your assignment to be due on time next week?" Riki smiled with no reply, waving and walking out of the classroom. I checked my wristwatch. Time to go home.

I padded through the grocery store, picking up a few items, reminding myself to go to the jewelry store to buy wedding rings later. I pulled my cellphone out of my pocket, the wallpaper of my fiancé and I flickering to life as I lazily put in my password, opening up the calendar app to make a not for later, when I noticed something. Today was a special date that I had completely forgotten.

Today was an anniversary. Jaemin's anniversary.

After driving myself home, I plopped onto the couch, my shoes removed clumsily at the doorway. Thoughts of my fiancé resurfaced to my head. We were really getting married soon. I looked at the wedding ring I'd chosen, it's sparkle reflecting onto my phone.

"Right. I should call Jaemin." I readied myself, spending more time preparing my heart than a conversation as I had no idea what to say to him. I clicked onto his contact, our very few text messages. They were all mostly: Can you help me with something?

Sure. What do you need?

I'll call you and explain later.

Thanks, and so on. Without giving myself time to hesitate, I clicked the green, call button, hearing a familiar ringtone play. A feeling of intense nostalgia rished through my veins. What would happen today?

A click, and then silence. "Hello?" A quiet static sound, filled my ears, hiding behind Jaemin's comforting voice.

"Happy anniversary, Jaemin. How long has it been? 2 years?" I forced the words to come out of my mouth. To sound natural.

"3 as of today."

"I hope you and Miri are still happy together."

"We are. Yep..we are."

"You're getting married soon I hear." I am. 

"Yeah. I'll be Mr. Kim Renjun soon."

"Congrats."

Silence followed Jaemin's familiar, deep voice. Everything about this phone call felt too familiar, but too distant and unnatural.

"I miss you." I let out before I could stop myself. 

"I miss you, too."

"But really, I miss us."

Silence.

Jaemin hung up.

I sat in thought, unable to move. The door creaked open. "I'm home!" My fiancé's voice rang through my ears. I heard his footsteps move towards me until he was behind me, his strong arms wrapping around my petite figure. "I missed you so much." His voice bellowed. "Me too." My voice answered instead of me. "I can't believe we're getting married!" My boyfriend's cheery voice exclaimed as he stood infront of me, slightly loosening his tie. 

"I can't believe we're getting married." I repeated, not even half as enthusiastic as my boyfriend. I really couldn't believe it. I fucked up. I fucked up really badly this time. I let the love of my life walk away, so my mom would be happy, just for me to marry a man anyway.  

"You don't sound so excited." My boyfriend leaned down and pecked my lips. "I am." I'm not. "I'm just tired." I lied again. I'm wide awake. "Okay, then." My boyfriend kissed me again. "You should get some sleep." He pat my empty hand, kissing me once again before leaving me to go do something else. 

I crawled into our shared bed, unable to think to do anything else. I cried, the first teardrop letting the second teardrop escape with ease. I miss us a lot.

-

What Renjun didn't know was that Jaemin in another city in Korea, in the bathroom during his third year anniversary date with his wife, was trying to send a message that just wouldn't deliver due to the restaurant's dodgy wifi after their phone call was cut short also due to the restaurants dodgy wifi. The message would bring Renjun so much joy and erase all his guilt. Renjun might even give it a double take.

I miss us too undelivered 

Word count: 1410 words