001. we're friends, officially?

chapter one we're friends, officially?

chapter one
we're friends, officially?

The Demogorgon stuck with Avery Monroe longer than she'd like to admit

It had been months, literal months, in fact over a year since she found out monsters were real. She shouldn't have let it affect her that much but come on, it come on, it was an actual monster. From a parallel dimension, that Will Byers, one of her boys, had been trapped in for days.

The first couple of days after were rough. She had been spending so much time making sure Will, Mike, Lucas and Dustin were okay that she barely had time to stop and process everything herself. Avery pushed everything that she had seen to the bac of her head and was there for all four of them, watching over them like she always had.

But at night, that's when everything would come crashing down. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw the tall figure of the Demogorgon. Avery, if she did manage to ever fall asleep, would wake up from nightmares of the Demogorgon actually getting her, or worse, one of her friends. She could hear Mike cries every night and it was like the events were haunting her because it was real, the monster could come back at any moment.

However, to the outside world Avery was fine, she still wore her bright smile and she used makeup to cover the dark circles under her eyes from the lack of sleep. The only person who knew of her struggles was strangely enough Nancy Wheeler.

The two girls had gotten close, extremely close, for they both knew of that creatures that plagued their dreams, which is why the girls often phoned each other late at night, talking to the other until they fell asleep or in some cases, the sun rose again.

But for now, it was Halloween and Avery Monroe stood next to her dad, the two watching her mum hang Halloween decorations in their house, fake cobwebs and spider hung on the walls.

"There's a gap there." Theo pointed out, Lorelai sending him a glare as Avery laughed.

"You know, I already have to decorate the diner so you can do the house if you want to be picky." Lorelai smiled at him sarcastically.