008. the mind flayer

chapter eight
the mind flayer

When the group all arrived back at the Byers, Will was instantly put on the sofa, Jonathan stroking his hair as he apologised for not being there

When the group all arrived back at the Byers, Will was instantly put on the sofa, Jonathan stroking his hair as he apologised for not being there. Nancy was comforting Jonathan with a gentle hand rubbing soft circles in his back. The rest of the party were sat at the dining table as Hopper tried to convince the police about what happened.

Steve was stood in the doorway, watching Jonathan and Nancy before he sighed, turning and making his way into the kitchen. He stood next to James, who was leaning against the counter staring off into space.

Avery was stood with her dad, the girl having immediately wrapped her arms around him when she stepped out of the car, basking in the comfort. Now, the two were stood next to each other in the kitchen, Avery leaning on her father as her eyes fluttered closed every now and again – her body desperately needed sleep.

"I will be here." Hopper spoke through gritted teeth before he angrily slammed the phone in its holder, turning to the group.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin asked rhetorically, already knowing the answer.

"We'll see." Hopper replied.

"We'll see!" Mike exclaimed. "We can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

"We stay here, and we wait for help." Hopper demanded.

"You should phone mum." Avery turned to her dad. Theo nodded, knowing that Lorelai was probably sick with nerves about their whereabouts before he went to the phone and dialled their house phone number.

After a few moments later, Mike got up. He walked over to Bob's brain teasers, picking one from the top up as he questioned, "Did you know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?"

"Really?" Dustin looked surprised.

"He petitioned for the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment." Mike explained, walking back over to the table. "Mr Clarke learned everything from him. Pretty awesome, right?"

"Yeah." Lucas and Dustin agreed.

Mike sighed, placing the brain teaser on the table, "We can't let him die in vain."

"What do you want to do, Mike?" Dustin asked him. "The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demo-dogs on our own."

"Demo-dogs?" Max repeated, turning to him in confusion.

"Demogorgon dogs." Dustin looked at her. "Demo-dogs. It's like a compound. It's like a play on words—"

"Okay." Max interrupted him with a nod.

"I mean, when it was just dart maybe..." Dustin looked back at Mike.

"But it's an army now." Lucas finished for him.