005. no way

chapter five
no way

Steve, James and Dustin sat in awkward silence as Steve drove, the radio being the only noise in the car

Steve, James and Dustin sat in awkward silence as Steve drove, the radio being the only noise in the car. Steve staring at the road in shock after James and Dustin explained the situation to him.

"Wait a sec. How big?" Steve asked, referring to Dart.

"First it was like that." Dustin sat forward between the two front seats, holding his fingers close together before holding his hands far apart. "Now he's like this."

"Sit back and put your seat belt on." James ordered, pushing the boy back. Dustin rolled his eyes, letting out a huff and putting his seat belt on.

"I swear to God, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?" Steve tried to tell him, hoping he was right because the whole thing was kind of freaking him out.

"It's not a lizard." Dustin stated, annoyed.

"It's not a lizard." James agreed.

"How do you know?" Steve questioned.

"How do I know if it's not." Dustin retorted.

"How do you know it's not just a lizard?" Steve asked.

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat!" Dustin exclaimed, leaning forward once more. Steve tilted his head to the side, before nodding.

"It wasn't a lizard, man." James repeated to his friend.

When the trio got to Dustin's house, Steve threw his keys to James to put in his bag before opening his trunk and grabbing his bat. The three walked towards the bunker where Dart was, Steve shining at torch at the doors.

"I don't hear shit." Steve stated.

"He's in there." Dustin spoke firmly.

Steve hit the doors with the bat, taking a breath before turning to Dustin once more, shining the torch in his face. "All right, listen, kid. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead."

"It's not." Dustin stated, squinting. "It's not a prank. Get it out of my face."

Steve narrowed his eyes, turning to James. The boy sighed. "It's not a prank."

"You got a key for this thing?" Steve sighed, asking the pre-teen.

Once Steve had the key, he opened the door, crouching down as Dustin and James stood over him. The three looked into the cabin, Steve taking the torch off of Dustin and shining it as far as it would reach, none of them seeing anything.

"He must be further down there." Dustin shrugged. "I'll stay up here in case he tried to... escape."

Steve turned to Dustin, letting out a scoff before turning to James. "You're coming with me."