6

James

James had been given a bedroom. After being incarcerated for ages, it felt strange to exist in comfort. It was four walls all the same, but freedom came with it.

He still slept better on the floor.

When Airo came to see him that night, James was sure he wasn't expecting to find him next to the bed, rather than in it.

"Oh," he said, surprised. "Are... what are you doing?"

James squinted. "Sleeping."

He laid down on the floor beside him.

James was not sure where Airo had been sleeping on the front, or if he even slept at all, but he was sure he did not spent his nights on a floor.

"Is this all right?" he asked, looking over at James.

He looked back. "Do you want something, Airo?"

"To talk," he said quietly, ears flushing red. "You know I'll always have trouble forgiving Xadya for..."

"It was your father's orders." James had trouble forgiving her too.

"Not that." Airo's voice was calm. "She wanted bloodshed. Your blood."

All he could picture was the look on her face when the King ordered her to spare him. Anger. Bloodlust. Hatred. There was nothing but demon in her eyes.

"She doesn't still, does she?" James chuckled, though it wasn't funny.

"Does everything have to be a joke?"

"My apologies, Your Majesty," he breathed, looking back at Airo.

"I—I know it's nearly been years..." Airo trailed off, voice barely a whisper. James reached for Airo, hand softly on the side of his face and before they both knew it, their lips met.

It felt like home to kiss him again.

"Jamie," Airo pleaded.

"Love," he whispered back.

Airo sighed, as if relieved, and allowed James to pull him closer and wrap his arms around him, as Airo rested his head on James' shoulder.

"Have you really been spending nights on the floor?"

"I'm used to it," James soothed, because he was.