12

Xadezhda

Xadya was in chains now—her Zlatčka's doing. Well, he'd watched. It was Malakhai he'd employed to lock her up, close enough to Matías that he could keep an eye on her.

There were not many chained these days. Matías' Arcane knew better than to go against him.

"How long?" Xadya asked, voice hollow. The Zlatčka still made her incredibly uneasy.

"I'm surprised the young King has allowed your return." Matías did not answer her question.

"I begged him," Xadya admitted. "As it would turn out, excommunication is as torturous as it is unsuccessful."

"Excommunication," Matías scoffed, mocking her. "There is no such thing. You are Arcane until you die. And even then."

It was a risky game she was playing. A fine line between losing herself to Matías and clinging to what she had left of Airo.

Airo.

She thought fondly of him then, and her jaw tightened. She could do this for him. She had to.

Malakhai finished with the final restraints, spikes digging into her skin as if they never emerged from her in the first place. They made her bleed, but they would not make her weaker.

Nothing could make her weaker.

"Happy?" Malakhai taunted.

"Not exactly the word I'd use."

"Enough," Matías snapped. "I have business to attend to. Play nice while I'm away."

Their eyes met as Matías skulked away into the shadows. There was nothing but darkness in the Caves. Xadya would have to grow used to it.

Malakhai neared her once more, and she could not leave this time. Did she even want to?

His body fit to hers like a puzzle piece. Radiating warmth, folding around the curves of her almost shivering figure.

Xadya was not certain when the cold had started. But it was there.

He pulled away, turning his back to her.

"S—stay," she stammered. Weak.

Malakhai took her in, a specimen of what she once was. What she could be.

He sat with her.

There was no way to be certain how much time had passed. But the day came when Matías was finally ready to release her, and Xadya's nerves fluttered with each passing second.

She had not eaten. She had not slept.

"Perfect timing," Matías purred as the chains came loose. "King Airo has requested an audience with you. You will go, and you will return without delay. Is that clear, divèshka?"

She lowered her head, feeling Malakhai next to her. If she did not listen, he would make her.

That used to be her job.

"Yes, Your Excellency."

Matías offered a sly grin at the use of his title. He waved a hand in her direction, a silent dismissal. Xadya left before he could change his mind.

She had learned nothing of importance for Airo, but that would come with time. All she could do now was hurry back to the palace and wonder what he could possibly need her for.

This was not the first meal she'd expected. But she was not disappointed.

Two figures knelt before Airo, heads lowered as they stared intently at the tile beneath them.