17

James

Nothing. That was what James had found regarding answers as to what was wrong with Xadya. Seeing her move the way she had, darkness twisting at her edges, her sickly smile consuming those hearts.

James felt ill.

Finley joined him, quietly taking a book from his pile and opening it of her own accord. He smiled. She had lightened his load.

"Were you there?" he asked, after a moment.

"I heard," she replied.

James shook his head absently. "I can't have her doing that again."

He was beginning to believe that not a single book in the entire damned library had anything to with what was happening to Xadya.

"Oh, I don't like that look," Finley pointed out.

"There's another library in the Caves."

Finley did not have time to share her concerns before James stood and faced Airo, looming over him. When had he even shown up?

"No."

"Airo—"

"I said no, James."

James held his ground. Airo crossed his arms. The two stared at each other with set faces, silently pushing against the tension in the air, to see who would crack first.

"There could be more answers—"

"The Arcane can read," Airo snapped.

A sigh broke from James' chest, shoulders deflating. He leaned his forehead on Airo's shoulder, and the other boy rubbed his back gently.

They sat with Finley, James inching closer to Airo.

"She needs our help," he said, but Airo had defeated him. His protests were soft, weak.

"I'm aware."

James had not liked the grin on Airo's face as he watched Xadya set the bloodbath into motion. He wondered if he should be concerned with Airo's intentions.

"I will not have you risking your life with her." James faltered. He had not been expecting that. "Until we know what is going on with Xadezhda, I would prefer it if you did not visit her."

She had wanted his blood once before.

"Okay," James said softly. "I won't, then."

Finley looked between them. "There is quite the power imbalance between you two."

James flushed. "Not all of the time."

Airo was silent.

The three of them continued to read, though James was not sure why. Xadya's power was corrupted, something else entirely. Perhaps there was no history to be read.

Finley left the library, muttering something about needing to speak with Luisza.

Airo gathered all the books and set them aside, extending his hand for James to take.

He did not understand. Was Airo giving up on Xadya? It was entirely unlike him—those two had been attached at the hip for as long as James could remember.

He took Airo's hand and followed the other boy out of the library.