[ ᴏɴᴇ ] ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍꜱ.

ʜɪ ʜᴛᴇʀ ɪ ᴇᴅɪᴛᴇᴅ

Just minutes before my alarm rang my eyes snapped open. I was covered in cold sweat, my heart was pounding with all that adrenaline rush. I wanted to pacify myself with a glass of water, but all this has left me weak and trembling. I looked around the room and realised it was just another nightmare. After one year it should have gotten better; but it got worse and worse. My trail of thought's were interrupted by my alarm. I turned it off and got up. I rubbed my head and my eyes trying to fully awake. I crawled out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom, I looked in the mirror slowly, cautiously, as if not sure of what i will see. The sun shined bright through the window. Washing away the vestiges of the horror, left me relieved to return to my mundane existence.

I brought my left hand up and touched the scars that run across my right shoulder, over my neck stopping just below my jaw. I run my fingers over the area remembering the tragic evening one year ago. The scar that constantly remind me that the night was real and not just a nightmare I can force myself awake from. No matter how hard I tried to hide it with my hair or my clothes, it's there. It will always be there. A permanent reminder of the night that destroyed me all.
It's difficult to forget about it, since I was in the hospital bandaged up for a month, unable to touch most of my body. I was just there looking at myself in the mirror, thinking 'That can't be the end.' 'It will always be here somehow.' I closed my eyes, feeling the warmth of the light, feeling the cool breeze coming from my opened window.

Once I finished using the bathroom, I walked over to my bed and laid down for a minute or two, staring at the ceiling, before I heard a sharp knock and the door flied open.
"Ah, dear. Why are you still in bed?" Mums easy grin danced into the room before she does.
I took a tight breath and tried to make myself look at her but I couldn't. I sat up and instead I whispered an apology and listened to the sorry sound my words made. I felt my shaking fingers clenched against the thick, padded mats spread out on my bed.
Mom sat down on my bed directly in front of me, waited until I finally looked up. "There's no need to apologize." she said. Her smile always made it easy and calmed me down.

"I will be down in a minute." Her gentle hand traveled against my soft forehead down to my chin, she looked at me and smiled once more before she left. I took a deep breath feeling that I might need it. I have a long day ahead of me. Who knows, perhaps another monster will appear on my doorstep. Never say never. I quickly grabbed my backpack and walked downstairs, ready to go to Nancy's car.

Mum instantly stopped me as I walked past the kitchen. "Ellie, are you planning on staying in Lyras tonight?"

"Nope, change of plans. She has some family troubles." My mom closed her eyes and sighed heavily. When she opened them, she handed me a red apple and made sure to ask if everything was alright. "Nothing to worry about. Mason has an important issue in his office so Lyra is watching little Aiden tonight."

Nancy came down the stairs in a fit of rage, her frustration fueling her fast movements.
I was frustrated when I looked at the clock on the wall and realized Mike was once again running late for school. It felt like we were stuck in a never-ending cycle of being late every morning, and I couldn't help but yell at him in frustration. "What the hell, Mike! It's ten past the hour!" Mum also got in on the action and called for Mike to come down.

"Sorry, I got carried away reading El's letter." Mike apologised.

"I know you're excited for your D&D club tonight, but you need to be home by 9:00 PM," Mom reminded him.