pancakes

Charlie and Nick spend the morning making pancakes!

I feel a hand pat my shoulder gently and my eyes flutter open, and the springtime sun peeking through the blinds wakes me up. I roll over groggily to see Nick smiling at me, still in his pajamas but obviously much more awake than I am.

"Good morning, Char, how'd you sleep?" he asks me as he pushes my messy hair out of my eyes.

"Good," I mumble, "till you woke me up." He chuckles in response, and I try to fake pout but it just turns into a giggle, my eyes still mostly closed.

"Aww, I'm sorry." He rolls onto his side to give me a hug, planting a gentle kiss on my cheek, and I smile while he continues, "But, I have an idea, and it kind of requires you to wake up before one in the afternoon like you usually do." He raises his eyebrows at me and I roll over to look at my bedside clock, immediately groaning.

"Nick, it's only 8:30, that's so not even close to one in the afternoon" I whine, trying not to laugh in the process. "Why can't we just lay here all day and sleep?"

"Because," he playfully fake-punches my shoulder, "you can't make pancakes for breakfast if you lay all day and sleep!"

My eyes light up, and I turn to look at him, "I'm awake now!" We laugh and hug for a few seconds, and he gives me a light kiss on the forehead before we slowly get up and head down the kitchen.

"Why didn't you just whisper 'pancakes' in my ear? I would've woken up immediately!" I say, putting on one of his jumpers that he left on the couch last night. At this point, his clothes are pretty much mine and mine are his. If he didn't want me to take this, he should've locked it up in a safe.

"Oh, sorry," he says while he takes the eggs out of the fridge, "I didn't know my boyfriend was a puppy that will do anything I say if I give him food." He turns around and closes the fridge, rolling his eyes lovingly at my new outfit. "Nice jumper. Where'd you get it?"

I pretend to model it and say goofily, "This new shop I found, Rugby Lad's Closet!"

"Very funny" he says, leaning on the counter and raising an eyebrow at me.

"Oh, come on, that was funny," I laugh, walking over to him and shoving his shoulder gently.

"I should've let you sleep." He grabs the flour out of the cabinet.

"Okay then, I'll be up in four hours!" I skip back toward the stairs with a goofy grin.

"Hey, get over here you dork," he grabs my hand and pulls me back into the kitchen and then into a hug. "I'm sorry. I'll admit, it was a little funny."

"Mmhmm!" I say, hugging back with my eyes closed.

"Not as funny as this, though!" He pulls away quickly and smears flour on my cheek, he must've been hiding it in his hand to get me when I least expected.

"You little—" I lunge forward to try and grab some flour to get him back, but he stands in my way, shuffling side to side like he's on defense in a rugby match.

"You little what?" he asks, mocking my tone. I try to think of a comeback, but I've got nothing. "That's what I thought," he says, rubbing the flour off my cheek with a napkin.

"Alright, can we start making these? I didn't wake up at the crack of dawn to be assaulted with baking ingredients."

He gets the cutest, dumbest smile on his face. "Don't you mean, a-flour-ed?" I roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah? That was pretty good, come on."

"Okay, we're even now, let's make some pancakes."

"Hey, why don't you put on some music and I'll start mixing up the batter?" Nick knows I love making playlists, I always have the perfect song for any situation. I've made so many playlists for him, and it makes me so happy that he likes them, because I love making them.

"Okay," I reply, looking through my Spotify and queuing up some music when the perfect song pops into my head. "Hey, I found the perfect song!" I play "Pancakes" by LANY, and once he realizes what song it is, he locks eyes with me and gives me a loving smile.

"Oh my gosh, you're adorable," he says while whisking the eggs, and I blush.

"I try," I giggle.

Stirring with his right hand, he points to me with his left, lip syncing to the lyrics, "you are the best, please don't ever change on me," dancing slightly to the beat as he does it.

"Aww," I walk over to him and measure out the flour. "I won't. But only if you don't." I rest my hand on his shoulder and we exchange a gentle kiss. We finish up making the batter and I turn on the stove, placing the skillet on the hot burner.

I only put my phone on shuffle after Pancakes, and somehow "Toxic" by Britney Spears comes on as he pours the first few circular pancakes onto the pan.

"Are you serious," he giggles, leaning on to me, "why do you have this saved?"

I give him a look, "what, you don't?"

He giggles. "Fair point." I can tell he gets an idea as I flip a pancake. "Ooo! Char, we should make them into fun shapes! I'll make one for you, and you make one for me."

"Yeah, right, like I could do that. I can barely make a smooth circle."

"Sure you can! Just try. Even if it's just a lumpy circle, it's the thought that counts."

"Fine," I say. He begins to pour the batter onto an empty spot, and I can automatically tell what it is, but I pretend not to. No matter how hard I try to poke and reshape it with the spatula, mine, unsurprisingly, looks like a lumpy circle. We let them cook and flip them once they're ready while shimmying and giggling to whatever song comes on. We both now have a sizable stack of fluffy deliciousness on our plates, including our attempted pancake art.

"So, what did you make me?" I ask him, even though it's very obviously a perfectly shaped heart.

"It's a heart, silly," he grins, looking down at his plate questioningly, eyeing my very sad, ovular, average pancake. "What did you make me?" he asks, but I can tell he actually doesn't know. I don't even know what it's supposed to be.

"It's a, um, a," I hesitate. I really don't even know what I was going for.

"It's okay, Char. It's a beautiful oval anyway." He leans in to hug me when I get an idea.

"Wait! It's a rugby ball!" I cheer, and he hugs me stronger as I squeeze back.

"You know what? It is a rugby ball! It's perfect. Thank you, love."

I laugh softly while we each cut a bite. "And thank you for my heart, honey."

"I love you, Charlie. Thank you for waking up early for me." He plants a soft kiss on my forehead as he dips his pancake into syrup.

"Of course, I'm glad I did. I love you too." We lock eyes and feed each other a bite of pancake at the same time, barely able to eat through the giggles.