oliver

On a cloudy day in late spring, Charlie's little brother Oliver was sick with a nasty cold. He had fallen asleep on his mum's bed while watching tv, which gave her the perfect opportunity to run to the pharmacy and pick up some medicine.

"Alright boys," she said to Charlie and Nick, who were chilling on the couch in the living room, "Oliver is asleep on my bed. He should be fine until I get back from the store, but just keep an ear out, yeah?"

"Sounds good," said Charlie, smiling at his mum.

"He's got his stuffies on the bed, should keep him occupied if he wakes up," she hollered as she walked out the door.

"We're home alone now," Nick smirked, "wanna throw a party?"

"For what, 15 minutes?" Charlie rolled his eyes with a smile. "And plus, you know I hate parties."

"Oh, you're no fun," said Nick.

The two spent a few minutes sitting on the couch, silently scrolling through their respective phones like they often did. That was something special about Nick and Charlie- they didn't always need to be doing something especially interesting in order to enjoy each others' company. 

After a while had passed, Charlie gasped while looking at his phone. "Oh my god, Nicholas," he said, eyes wide with his eyebrows raised and a pouty lip. 

"What? What's wrong?" said Nick, concerned, leaning over to wrap his arm around Charlie's shoulder. 

"This just has to be the cutest cat I've ever seen in my life," he cried, that same pouty expression on his face, showing Nick his phone. 

"Charlie!" whined Nick. "You can't just say 'Oh my god, Nicholas' all surprised like that. You scared me!"

"Sorry," Charlie replied with a smile, "he's just that adorable."

"Hey," Nick said quietly with a frown, "no S-word." 

The two grinned while looking into each others' eyes. After a few moments of eye contact, Nick winked at Charlie, which turned the shorter boy's stomach into a swarm of butterflies. He leaned in quickly, kissing Nick gently but passionately while holding his hand on the back of Nick's neck. Though caught off guard at first, Nick soon reciprocated, softly rubbing Charlie's back as they kissed. 

The two boys were so infatuated with each other, that they failed to notice the faint sounds of Oliver waking up and making his way to the living room. 

"Charlie, where's mum-" he whined, stopping short when he arrived at the doorway to see his brother kissing his "friend". 

The older boys separated immediately, feeling their cheeks blush instantly.

"Oh, um, she, she just went to get your medicine," Charlie stammered frantically. "Just, go back to Mum's room and lay down, Ollie. You should be resting."

Oliver stood at the doorway, completely confused. "Charlie, why were you and Nick kissing?"

Charlie looked at Nick, mortified. Though Charlie was out to his parents and older sister, Tori, they hadn't quite figured out how they would explain to Oliver what it means to be gay. Part of Charlie worried that his mom would be upset about Oliver finding out without it being a conversation between the three of them. He felt a pit begin to grow in his stomach as he tried to think of the right thing to say. After a few moments of spacing out, he noticed Nick staring at him.

Nick smiled at Charlie lovingly and whispered, "I got this." 

"Ollie, come sit here between me and Charlie," Nick said, patting the space on the couch between them. The little boy climbed up onto the couch between his brother and Nick, stuffed rabbit in hand. 

"So, Ollie," Nick said in a silly tone. "You know how your mum and dad love each other very much, right?"

Ollie nodded, looking up at Nick. 

"And how sometimes, your mum and dad will give each other a hug or a kiss to show that they love each other?" he asked. 

While Ollie nodded at Nick once again, Charlie looked at his boyfriend, absolutely shocked in the best way possible. If there was one thing about Nick, Charlie thought, it was that he always knew what to say. And if there was another thing, it was that he was downright adorable when he talked to little kids.

"Well, Ollie," Nick said, patting him on the shoulder, "Charlie and I love each other very much, like your mum and dad do. So sometimes, to show that we love each other, we give each other a kiss!" 

"But," Ollie questioned, "Mummy and Daddy are a girl and a boy, and you are a boy and Charlie is a boy."

"Right," said Nick. "That's true. But you don't have to be a boy and a girl to love each other. Sometimes, boys love other boys. Girls even love other girls sometimes!"

"Woahhh..." said Oliver, looking up at Nick with wide eyes. "You mean I could love a boy if I wanted to?"

Nick chuckled, smiling at Charlie. "You're a bit young for that buddy, but someday, sure. If you meet someone that you love, it doesn't matter if they're a boy or a girl. As long as they're nice to you and make you happy, like your mum and dad, or me and Charlie."

"I think I get it now," Oliver nodded, his voice sounding silly because of his stuffy nose. "But I have one more question."

"And what's that?" asked Nick, turning on the couch to face Oliver and Charlie. 

"Mummy and Daddy love each other, so they became family. Since you love Charlie and Charlie loves you, does that mean you're part of our family?"

Nick looked up at Charlie, feeling his heart beat a bit faster. But he had nothing to worry about, because Charlie had the world's largest smile on his face, and gave Nick a tiny nod. 

"I guess so, Ollie! I can be part of your family!" said Nick. 

"Yayyyy!!" shouted Oliver, throwing himself onto Nick and giving him a giant hug. "Nick is in our family!" he giggled as Nick stood up and bounced around, holding him. 

Nick and Charlie looked at each other, smiling wide. Charlie was so grateful to have a boyfriend that was so kind and caring to his little brother, and to him as well. 

"Nick?" Oliver asked, looking at him while sitting on his hip.

"Yeah, buddy?" Nick asked. 

"You're my.. you're my best... you're my best frrr-ACHOOO!!" 

Ollie sneezed directly into Nick's face, causing him to squeeze his eyes shut and hold his breath. 

Charlie's jaw dropped as he tried to keep himself from laughing. 

Slowly, Nick opened his eyes, his brows furrowed. "Let's go have you lay back down, Ollie," he said, his tone much less excited than before, turning around to carry him back to his mom's room. 

Charlie sat on the couch as he watched them leave the room. He could faintly hear down the hall, "Nick, am I your best friend too?"... "Of course, buddy. You're my best friend too."

A few moments later, Nick returned to the living room doorway, a grossed-out but slightly amused look on his face. "I've just been misted with your little brother's boogers," he said, laughing. 

"Hey," Charlie said, standing up and walking toward Nick. "Deal with it. You're part of the family now," he chuckled. 

Nick pulled Charlie into a hug, squeezing his shoulders while Charlie wrapped his arms around his waist.

"Thank you, Nick, seriously" Charlie mumbled into Nick's shoulder. "That was amazing. You're amazing."

"No problem, Char," he replied, hugging him tighter. They stood there for a moment, just enjoying the comfort of the embrace.

After a few moments, Nick piped up. "Charlie?"

"Yes, Nick?"

"I'm gonna go wash my face now. And maybe change my shirt," he chuckled. 

-

hope you liked this one! i got this idea the other day and thought it would be cute to write out. be sure to vote and comment if you enjoyed! xo sophie