christmas cookies

thank you for your request, @WeWouldntSeeTheStars ! happy christmas in july!

"Polar Express, or the Grinch?" asked Nick while opening his laptop, which was sitting on his kitchen table next to a plethora of cookie decorating supplies.

"Absolutely not Polar Express," said Charlie with a grossed-out expression, "the creepy puppets in that one scene are terrifying."

"Oh, then you definitely wouldn't want to watch A Muppet Christmas Carol?" Nick chuckled.

"Kermit the Frog is not creepy. A train car full of neglected toy puppets, and then thousands of  hyper-realistic animated elves, is creepy." said Charlie, sitting next to Nick at the table while setting down the tray of holiday-shaped sugar cookies they had baked.

"... so, Grinch?" Nick smiled.

"Grinch." said Charlie with a nod.

While the animated film played quietly in the background, Charlie and Nick began to work on decorating their holiday cookies. Different colors of icing, sprinkles and candies were strewn out all across the table as snow fell softly outside on that Christmas Eve morning. Neither boy had family festivities planned until the evening, giving them plenty of time to spend together for the holiday, which they were both very glad about. Nick's mother was out and about picking up last minute gifts and ingredients, which left the two boys with the house to themselves. 

Neither Charlie nor Nick had confessed their feelings to the other yet. Charlie thought he knew for sure that Nick was straight, and Nick was still quite scared to even say out loud that he had feelings for a boy, let alone actually tell said boy. Still, they enjoyed spending time together, even if it was only as best friends, especially when it was just the two of them. 

"Hey, we have two gingerbread man shapes, right?" asked Nick.

"Yeah, why?"

"Let's make each other as cookies!" smiled Nick. "I'll make a Charlie and you make a Nick and then we can eat ourselves."

"Only if you make it look like I have big muscles," replied Charlie with a grin. 

The two got to work on their person cookies, meticulously piping frosting on and adding little chocolates for eyes or buttons. 

"Hey," Nick said, leaning over with furrowed brows to look at Charlie's cookie-portrait of him, "why did you make my hair orange?"

"You're a ginger!" said Charlie innocently. 

"Exactly! Not a carrot!" said Nick with a smile, playfully shoving Charlie's shoulder. 

"Oh come on, you're telling me that brown would've been more accurate?"

"Well..." Nick paused, "... okay, fine. But I'm making your hair blue then. It's close enough to dark brown," he teased. 

"Why, thank you," smiled Charlie with an eyebrow raised, "I've always secretly wanted to be a punk rocker with colorful hair. Can you add some tattoos? Piercings? And don't forget the muscles."

"Well, so far I'm having quite a bit of trouble just drawing a smile, so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you," laughed Nick. 

They continued to work on their cookies for a little while longer, adding clothes and details, as well as some extra candies here and there for added deliciousness. 

"Cookie Nick is complete!" Charlie exclaimed, carefully holding up the cookie as to not break it or smudge the frosting. Nick looked closely at the cookie. "This is his orange hair," Charlie pointed with a giggle, "and this is his jumper that he wears every day, and this is some chocolate that I accidentally got on his trousers, so we can pretend it's a paw print from Cookie Nellie jumping on him."