bad dream

Charlie has a bad dream that Harry beats up Nick.

"No! Let go of him!" I scream. Harry keeps hitting him, kicking him, punching him, and I can see him wincing in pain. "Stop! Stop hurting him!" I can't seem to yell loud enough. No matter how hard I try, I can't get over to Nick, and Harry won't stop hurting him. "No!"

Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I hear myself yelling, but it sounds different this time, less echoey. I look up to find Nick looking at me, in his pajamas. We're in my room. He's okay.

"Baby, you're okay, you're awake," he whispers, pushing the hair from my forehead and stroking my cheek with his thumb. I feel a tear trickle down my cheek, and I pull him down into the tightest hug we've ever shared.

"Nick," I sob, "Harry was hurting you. He was beating you up and, and I couldn't stop him. I, I couldn't help you!"

He squeezes back tightly and interrupts my chaotic crying, "Shhh, Charlie, it's not real. I'm okay. We're okay," he whispers into my ear, then kisses me gently on the cheek. He pulls me in and rolls over so we are both on our sides, his arms tightly around me.

I try to calm myself, but it's nearly impossible. The tears won't stop, in fact, they're getting stronger. My whole body shakes, especially my hands. I feel cold and sweaty at the same time. All I can see is that terrible idiot hurting my Nick, and me not being able to help him. My sobs pick up again.

"Char, you have to calm down, honey. Just breathe with me, okay?" he asks me in a soft tone, and I nod as I try to slow down.

I can tell he exaggerates his breaths so I can hear and feel them, rubbing my back as he does so. In, out, I think. In, out. We continue this for what feels like an eternity until it seems like my breaths are starting to slow down a tiny bit, and a few less tears escape my eyes.

"You're doing great, love. Just keep breathing along with me, okay?" His hand keeps tracing soft patterns on my back and I nestle under his chin, slowly becoming less shaky.

I exhale, "Okay." I feel him softly kiss the top of my head, which makes me feel a lot better. Okay, I think. He's here, he's okay.

We lay there for several minutes, and he continues to calm me, every once in a while whispering an "it's okay".

Once I feel like I can get a word out again without sobbing, I say, "I love you so much, Nick." I feel a single tear run out of my eye and down onto the pillow.

He leans back slightly to hold my head in his hands and looks into my teary eyes with a sad grin, "I love you too, Charlie." He leans in to kiss me, and our foreheads connect afterwards as we both close our eyes. I can feel his warm breath tickle my chin. He's okay.

"Are you alright now, babe?" he asks, pushing another stray tuft of hair from my eyes.

I frown, shaking my head as I feel tears prickle at my eyes once again. "I can't go to sleep again, Nick. I'm scared." The tears come out of my eyes once again.

"Hey hey hey, it's okay!" He pulls me back into his strong embrace. "You can go to sleep again, love. It's just your brain playing tricks on you. We're safe. And if you get scared, I'm right here. I've got you."

I sigh, still nervous, "Promise?"

He intertwines his hand with mine and kisses it lightly. "I promise. I've got you."

I give him a faint smile, trying to convince myself that there really is nothing to worry about.

"If it makes you feel any better," he says while stroking the back of my hand, "I could absolutely obliterate that dickhead if he tried to beat me up."

We both let out quiet breathy giggles, glad to have found lightness in this dark moment.

"I love you, Nicky," I whisper.

"I love you too, Char."

Slowly, I let my eyes close. It takes a while, but I eventually feel my eyelids get heavier and my breath get more relaxed. But only because I can feel his arms around me and hear the rhythm of his inhales and exhales.

💕🍃

hope you enjoyed, friends! let me know if there's anything you'd like to read from me! thank you for all of your support :) xo sophie