snow

It was a Friday afternoon, and school was just letting out. Snow fell slowly from the sky, and the air was cold and windy.

Charlie was emptying his book bag into his locker and putting on his jacket when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around and found nobody standing there until he was embraced from the opposite side.

"Gotcha!" said Nick. He planted a light kiss on Charlie's cheek while hugging him from the side. "Happy Friday, love!"

"Happy Friday hon! How was maths?" Charlie asked as he closed his locker and turned to hug Nick back.

"It was... well it was maths," he giggled, and Charlie giggled back. After a moment he asked, "Hey, you're not busy tonight, are you?"

Charlie shook his head, "No, why?"

A smile spread across Nick's face as he moved a stray piece of hair off of Charlie's forehead. "Well, my parents won't be home until late tonight, they're going out to dinner after work. I was thinking, you and me, some hot cocoa, and a movie date at the Nelson Living Room Movie Theatre? Now Showing: Love, Simon?"

"Aww, you know I love that movie!" Charlie said excitedly. "I'd love to," he smiled.

"It's a date then, let's go." Nick grabbed Charlie's hand gently and they walked out of the school building, the cold, snowy air immediately stinging their cheeks and ears.

"Jeez, it's freezing!" Charlie said.

"That's why I suggested the hot cocoa," Nick chuckled lightly, leaning into Charlie. He looked over to Charlie to find his ears turning bright red after just a few minutes in the cold. "Aww, Char, your ears are all red! Here, take this." Nick removed his gray beanie and placed it gently on his boyfriends head before smoothing out the stray curls that stuck out of the front.

"Well now you're gonna be cold!" Charlie pouted.

"That's okay, you're gonna need it more that I will, babe," Nick smirked.

Charlie raised an eyebrow, confused. "What's that supposed to mean? Why do I need it more than you?"

"Because," Nick said, "I'm gonna do this!" He picked up a ball of snow from the edge of the sidewalk and chucked it at his boyfriend's back, interrupting their peaceful walk home. Charlie ran forward with a scream, bending down to pick up his own ball of snow.

"Oh, you're so on, rugby lad!" He threw a snowball and it hit Nick on the shoulder, both boys were now laughing hysterically.

"Hey, watch it!" Nick yelled, holding his hands up to shield himself.

"You started it!" Charlie replied, throwing more snow at his boyfriend.

"Ok, ok, can I end it?" Nick laughed, squealing and running away from Charlie.

"Fine, you dork," said Charlie, reaching out to grab Nick's hand again. "You're just disappointed you didn't win," he smirked.

Nick scoffed and rolled his eyes, "You can't 'win' a snowball fight!"

"Maybe you can't," Charlie pointed with a grin, "but I can!"

"Oh, shut up," Nick said. "I'm gonna drink all the hot chocolate if you don't."

"Nooooo!" Charlie pretend-whined, breaking into a laugh at the end.

The boys walked hand in hand through the snow to Nick's house, talking about their days as they went. Nick thought that Charlie looked absolutely adorable with his beanie on, and Charlie couldn't get enough of Nick's strawberry blonde hair being covered in snowflakes.

When they reached Nick's house, he unlocked the door and ushered Charlie inside, both of them instantly being warmed by the heat of the hallway. Nellie greeted them at the door, panting excitedly to see two of her favorite people.

"I'll start the kettle," Nick said, helping Charlie take his jacket off and hanging it up in the closet, "do you wanna pull up the film?"

"Sure!" Charlie said. He walked over to the couch as Nellie followed him and pulled up Netflix on the TV. Nick filled the kettle with water and turned it on.

Once everything was ready, the boys cuddled up with their warm drinks, their limbs intertwined under Nicks's favorite fuzzy blanket, Nellie curled up next to Charlie. The intro to the movie started as the beautiful snowy street outside set a backdrop for the room.

Nick went to plant a kiss on his boyfriend's forehead, when he was met with gray fabric instead of skin.

"Hey! You're still wearing my hat! You're inside now, you goof." He shoved Charlie lightly, careful not to spill their hot drinks.

Charlie reached up to pull the beanie down more securely and smirked, "You shouldn't have given it to me if you didn't want me to keep it forever."

Nick rolled his eyes. "You're lucky you're adorable." He tightened his embrace around Charlie before relaxing again. Charlie nuzzled into his chest and took a sip of cocoa.

He smiled softly, "and I'm even more lucky, because I have you."

They watched the movie as the air outside became colder and colder later into the night, but their hearts had never been so warm.

💕

i hope you enjoyed this little story! i know it's not winter (at least in the northern hemisphere) right now, but nick and charlie playing in the snow is too cute not to write about! x sophie