chapter 2

Madelyn's P.O.V:

Everyone is in the kitchen right now as Dad and Charlie are making the eggs, Henry playing his clarinet while he goes to help cut the sandwich, Jessica and Kim making their lunches which is peanut butter and jelly, Sarah bringing the toast to the table and buttering it, Jake putting orange juice in the glasses, Mike putting the sandwiches in the lunch boxes, and me helping Nigel and Kyle feed Gunner because I saw the big mess they made.

Lorraine entered the kitchen and said "Look, l am totally aware that this family doesn't value self-presentation in the same obsessive way that l do except for Madelyn and Nora." We all turned to her and gave her funny looks as she continued. "Fine. Whatever. But one of my life goals aside from being, like, a fashion guru is to indicate to the local community that the Baker family actually owns a bar of soap." We all turn to look at each other giving each other funny looks again and laugh quietly. And she continued again "So, as a self-appointed in-house rep of style and hygiene l think l should be allotted at least five extra minutes in front of the mirror." My sister says "Three." Dad makes a deal with her, "Done." My sister says as she points her finger at him.

I continue to help the twins with the dog food while my dad tells Lorraine to help Sarah butter the toast and my mom walks in saying

"Sarah, your suspension from lacrosse for excessive force has been lifted. ​​So you're going today. Henry, you have band practice, all right? l cleaned your clarinet. Please don't play with food in your mouth again. Kim and Jessica, your teacher called and has made a request that you do not correct her in front of the class. Mike,you have show-and-tell today. And, please, honey, remember that body parts do not count. Kyle and Nigel, you have a dentist's appointment at 3 o'clock so you're going to work with Dad."

"Yeah!" The twins yell leaving me to clean up the dog food and they walk over to dad doing a 'showing muscles' pose as they roar at dad and he roars back at them.

"And we are shooting our Christmas cards today." Dad announces. I roll my eyes hating the idea of doing Christmas cards this early like why not do it in December when it's Christmas season.

"What time's Nora coming over?" Dad asks as he puts the eggs on the plate.

"Uh, she may not make it." Mom says

"She hardly ever comes home since she started dating that doorknob." Sarah comments. I mean I agree I really miss her and she calls me from time to time but I wish she would at least visit us in midland.

"He's not a doorknob." Mom defends

"The man irons his jeans, Mom." Jake states

"Yeah, that's weird." Mom agrees with Jake. Me and Lorraine look at each other silently laughing.

"Never mind. I'll shoot it without her. l'll Photoshop her in." Dad says

"Honey, could you take 10 pounds off me with that Photoshop thing?" Mom jokes

"Can l be Photoshopped in?" Sarah asks

"Wait. lf Sarah's being photoshopped in then i'm definitely gonna get photoshopped in." Jake says

"Why don't we all get photoshopped in?" Sarah asks and shrugs

"No one is getting photoshopped in but Nora. Everybody will be here by 4." Dad says as he moves to the table and I roll my eyes at that. 

"Why do we always do our Christmas cards in May anyway?" Sarah asks dad

"Because the earlier we get it done, the bigger discount we get at the printer. Now, let's eat!" Dad says as everyone clammers to go sit down. I get up from helping Nigel and Kyle and holding their hands and walk them through the table and I sit down beside Lorraine. My mom starts to throw the toast around to everyone.

"Here you go. Look alive." Mom says passing the toast to everyone as they catch it

While everyone was eating, Mark was looking for his frog as he looked everywhere he decided to look up and there he found his frog in the light. I look at Mark and I ask him

"Hey are you gonna eat soon?" I ask

"Yea just wait." He says and I nodded at him going back at my food

As he spots his frog he reaches out for him with his net and dad sees this and as Mark is reaching out for his frog, dad screams "No, Mark!"

When Mark tried to catch his frog named bean instead of catching him, bean jumped into the eggs where it splashed everywhere and the egg went flying to everyone except for mom and everyone started screaming in shock and now there was egg everywhere around my clothes which are new and all over my hair.

"Get him!" Dad shouts as we all try to catch the frog and everything gets messed up like juice spilling everywhere and eggs around the table and utensils falling and going everywhere while Charlie and everyone else tries to get beans.

Dad screams "Come on! Get him Charlie!"

While Charlie tries to get the frog he screams "He's headed for the waffles!"

While everyone tries to get the frog and I am still trying to get the egg out of my hair as fast as I can.

Everyone is still trying to get beans and still screaming by the way and gunners barking and everything is just a mess and then beans decide to jump onto the counter where all the lunch boxes are already prepared and start to drop every lunch box which makes all the food go out.

Mom stands up and goes near where beans is and yells "Mike, stick!" and Mike throws it to mom and mom catches it and goes near the back door and dad tells Mark to give him his net which he does. 

Mom says "I got the door covered." and dad replies to mom "I got the net!" and while dad tries to stand up and run he slips onto bread which has jelly and falls on his back and all of us kids 'ooh' in pity. Dad gets up and now his hair is all messed up and food is everywhere on him like there is bread on his shoulder and egg on his chin and he is just a mess.

Bean croaks and dad stares at him as if it's a cowboy showdown and dad starts to yell which scared bean's and made him jump and while he did that, dad knee slides to where beans was going to fall and caught him in the net.

Everyone cheered and clapped and shouted as dad stood slowly back up and everyone's cheering was dying down and went into complete silence and Mike said "Uh oh, busted."

Everyone just looks at Mark who is walking to dad and dad turns to him slowly giving Mark his net back and sternly but slowly says "Put beans back in his cage... now."

Mark got his net back but was holding his net horizontally and when he turned this caused him to hit all the glasses and everyone ooh'ed as if he was going to be in big trouble and dad sighs quietly.

Mom asks while her eyes are closed "Is everything broken?" Dad doesn't answer her so mom takes that as a yes while she asks another question again, "Teacup with the flower on it broken?" Dad doesn't answer her again which is another sign as a yes.

"Nice move, FedEx." Sarah insults Mark as I glare at her and kick her softly as a sign for her to stop and Mark looks at the ground sadly as he exits the room and everyone cleans up. 

Noe speaks ✎ 

I am so so so sorry I haven't updated in so long 😭😭 I have been busy with school since it was the last week of school and the teachers being mean /j decided to give us a bunch of homework so my work was piling up but i hope yall understand 

so yasss hope you enjoyed this chapter!! 

dont forget to VOTE and COMMENT!! <333

you guys can give feedback on what i can do better, sending love and hugs!! 🤍🤍🤍