Chapter 27

(Herbert Wohlfarth's POV)

My U-Boat, U-556, is patrolling the cold waters off the shores of Solitas. It's our typical mission to sink convoys, and I have to admit, it can get a bit boring. We're doing ten knots under the waves, but then I see a large ping on the sonar. The ping is several thousand yards away, and it's closing in at 22.3 knots. It can't be a convoy because it's a singular dot on the sonar. I deploy the periscope before looking into the glassed tube; the water flows off the lens, and I see a shadow moving across the water. 

The silhouette looks like one of a dreadnought from the olden days, so I wait for the fog to clear to get a clearer visual. A few moments later, the weather clears and the shadow reveals itself to be an Atlesian vessel that we have never seen before. 

Me: What the

Me: What the... 

Sailor #1: What is it, sir?

Me: *Pulls away and gestures* Look for yourself, sailor!

The man takes a peek in the periscope, and his eyes widen in surprise before backing away. 

Sailor #1: That is a dreadnought! *Grabs his guidebook* Hold on, let me see if I can identify this vessel. 

While he reads the book, I return to monitoring the enemy vessel, decreasing the distance. I am tempted to send a torpedo, but I am not sure how the ship will react. Before I can give the order, the sailor grabs my attention.

Sailor #1: Sir, that vessel is an Atlas-Class battleship! Five of them were constructed: Atlas, Argus, Mantle, Colossus, and Knight. They are armed with eight 40.6 cm/45 caliber cannons, sixteen 12.7 cm/51 caliber secondary guns, and numerous anti-aircraft guns. 

Me: I see, what's the length?

Sailor #1: 190 meters (624 feet).

Me: Beam?

Sailor #1: 29.72 meters (97.6 feet).

Me: Draft?

Sailor #1: 9.3 meters (30.6 feet).

Me: Alright, so this vessel is smaller than the Bismarck and Scharnhorst-class battleships, but it packs a serious punch.

Sailor #1: Shall I contact HQ?

Me: Affirmative, tell the Kriegsmarine, we'll keep our heads low and shadow this vessel. 

Sailor #1: Yes, sir!

The man runs off in the cramped interior of our U-boat to enter the radio room while I observe at the dreadnought. I command the navigators to maintain our distance. I hope Bismarck and Tirpitz can take those classes of dreadnoughts down. 

--Meanwhile, in Menagerie--

(Sienna's POV)

I stand on the observation balcony of the Kriegsmarine HQ, watching the battleship Bismarck getting repaired after a collision with an Atlesian cargo ship. I scolded Captain Lindermann for his recklessness because the bow of the ship is bent slightly. He apologizes for his dangerous stunt, so I pardon him. Suddenly, my ears catch the noise of rapid footsteps followed by a stomp of attention, then I turn around to see an NCO with a folder in her hands.