Chapter 28

(3rd POV)

On the small island, Patch, people are watching the Kriegsmarine aircraft, Deus Ex Machina, sailing with a convoy of cruisers and destroyers. One of those people is Taiyang Xiao Long, concerned for his two daughters. He tried to contact them multiple times, but he kept getting directed to their voicemails. The father growls in frustration and looks at the vessels in the ocean. The massive aircraft carrier and its escorts disappear on the sea's horizon. Taiyang returns to the house, and Qrow is sitting on the couch while watching TV. It's footage of the Vacuoan Army getting pushed back to Oscuro Academy; trucks are loaded with wounded and dead soldiers. The Vacuoan M60 and T-64 main battle tanks are heavily damaged or destroyed. Mechanics try their best to repair the vehicles, but due to the cut supply chain, they cannot get parts and ammunition. The scene changes to footage of an AA crew trying to shoot down a Luftwaffe F/A-18D Hornet. Their 20mm AA rounds miss the aircraft, but then the aircraft banks to the right before flying toward them. Their gunner points before panicking immediately while shouting...

AA Gunner (TV): SPREAD THE FUCK OUT!

They begin to rush until...

The footage cuts off, then Qrow turns off the TV to see Taiyang leaning on the doorframe.

Taiyang: Qrow? What are you doing here?

Qrow: I know that you're concerned for Ruby and Yang. *Stands* They're safe in Atlas, away from the battlefield. 

Taiyang: Mmm... How did you get here without being shot down?

Qrow: I have my ways...

Taiyang: *Sighs* Anyway, do you guys have a plan to repel these guys? I fear that they'll invade this island.

Qrow: I... *Sighs* It's hard to say anymore because Vacuo is about to fall like how Vale fell. The most elite manufacturers supply them.

Taiyang: I know... It doesn't help that their soldiers are incredibly well-trained. I read an article saying how these White Fang soldiers are better suited for combat than those Atlesian androids.

Qrow: It's because they can adapt, unlike those damn androids! They are just rustbuckets held on by cheap glue and dog spit!

The blonde man chuckles at his friend's remark before heading to the fridge and grabbing a soda. He cracks it open, then he takes a few sips from the can. The scene changes to the northern region of Sanus, where the Atlesian and Vale militaries are gathering for a full counter-attack. They're readying their troops and vehicles at night to launch the assault, but unbeknownst to them, a kill team comprising one spotter, one marksman, and two riflemen is positioning themselves underneath thick shrubbery. That marksman is the infamous Simo Häyhä, and he attaches a suppressor to his scopeless M98B sniper rifle. His spotter, Kim, sits on a rock and pulls out the binoculars.

Kim: Okay, Simo... I spot three officers next to the garage. The range is 1,000 yards, windspeed is 5 knots to the east. 

Simo: I see 'em... *Adjusts* Lined them up perfectly...

Kim: Load a SLAP round...

Simo: *Loads a round* It's chambered in!

Kim: Fire...

The Finnish native holds his breath before focusing on his targets; once he gets dialed in, he pulls the trigger, and the rifle fires its lethal 338 Lapua Magnum projectile. The plastic sabot peels off as the Tungsten penetrator flies in the air. Simo's spotter times the bullet's travel time, then two seconds later, the officers receive a painful dose of 338 Lapua Magnum. Surprisingly, no one acknowledges the three dead men, so Simo looks for another target.