Chapter 27

Date: Monday, March 28th

"Soph are you ok? Are you nervous?" Luke asked her.

Sophia, Luke, and Sierra were sitting at the table eating breakfast. Sophia was going to school for half the day and then going to the hospital to start her first round of chemo.

"Yeah. I'm fine Luke. Don't ask that again. I am going to get my backpack. I will meet you in the car," Sophia said and left the kitchen.

"I... Uh did I do something?" Luke asked Sierra.

"No babe, you didn't do anything. I think she is trying to be strong and not show us she is scared. So that means she will probably lash out," Sierra said and took a sip of her coffee.

"That makes sense. Today is going to be a rough day. I can already sense it," Luke said.

"I know but you won't be alone. I will be there for the both of you," Sierra said and then looked at her watch, "Oh shoot. I need to go before I am late. I will see you later. Rember to be patient with Sophia. You don't know how she actually feels."

"Of course, I will be patient. Who do you think I am? I love you," Luke said.

"I love you too," Sierra said and walked out into the garage.

Luke looked at the time. He cleaned
up the plates and cups and put them in the sink. He then grabbed his car keys and walked out to his car where Sophia was.

She didn't say anything to him. The car ride was completely silent which was very foreign to Luke. Sophia always has something to say to him. He tried to have a conversation with her but she ignored him.

He pulled up to her school.

"Remember that I will be picking you up at lunch. Have a good morning. I love you," Luke said as Sophia climbed out of the car.

She looked up at him but didn't say anything. She then shut the car door and started walking towards the school.

Remember she is scared. She isn't going to be her normal self. Just stay calm, Luke thought to himself.

—--------------

Luke and Sophia arrived at the hospital and she still hasn't said anything to him. He started to get a little worried. He thought she would cling to him but she is acting as if he isn't even there.

Michael met them at the front door of the oncology floor.

"Hey cutie, how are you?" Michael asked Sophia.

"Let's just get this over with," Sophia said flatly.

Michael looked at Luke who just shrugged his shoulders.

"Ok well for your first week you will be in your own room. It's just down the hallway in room 310," Michael said pointing to the room.

Sophia started walking straight down the hallway to the room.

Michael turned to look at Luke and asked, "What's wrong with her?"

"Man I don't know. She hasn't said much of anything to me all day," Luke said.

"Hmm...maybe she is scared and just doesn't want to show it," Michael suggested a reason for her attitude.

"Yeah, that's definitely a possibility," Luke said.

Luke and Michael walked into the room.

Michael looked at Sophia who was sitting on the bed and said, "Ok so Sophia here's the deal. Luke can stay with you or it could just be me, you, and crystal. Which do you prefer?"