VI. THE STRANGE CASE OF PETER THE RAT

THE STRANGE CASE OF PETER THE RAT!

OCTOBER 1977

6th Year

• • • •

"I adore life but I don't fear death. I just prefer to die as late as possible." - Georges Simenon - Author of The Strange Case of Peter the Lett

Leah Sherlock knew that a chain was only as strong as its weakest link.

And Peter Pettigrew was the Marauder's weakest link.

Leah checked her watch as she stood in the corridor near the Great Hall, waiting for Peter to walk past her, as Peter Pettigrew's lesson before lunch was different to the rest of his pack and he was always the last to lunch.

When the large hand struck half past, Leah smirked, hearing Claudia's voice echo down the hall.

"I'm just struggling to understand it," The brunette said, walking with a nervous Peter, "And since you're in the year above, I assumed you'd have a much better grasp on the knowledge than I do."

"To be honest, when it comes to Potions, I just stuff in the cauldron and hope for the best," The boy shrugged, "Doesn't your friend Leah take Potions? She'd be better to ask."

"Well, I would but she's quite busy at the moment."

"Doing what?"

Leah sent a wave to the boy as he and Claudia turned into the next corridor, where she was standing, "Waiting for you."

"F-For me?" Peter stuttered, as Claudia gently took his arm in her hand and lead the older boy over to her friend.

"Just tell her what she wants to know and then you can go to lunch," Claudia told him gently, "Trust me it will make all of our lives much easier if you do." She said, sitting him down on one of the stone benches, the two girls standing in front of him with their arms crossed.

"What's going on with you and your friends?" Leah asked bluntly.

"Way to ease him in." Claudia rolled her eyes.

"What do you mean?" Peter asked.

"All four of you act strange," Leah shrugged, "And once a month, Lupin disappears and then comes back without anyone batting an eyelid. Why?"

"W-Well, Remus is a very private person and yes he does leave once a month, but that's because he-"

"Has some family business to attend to?" Leah cut Peter off, "Yeah, that's what he told me."