VIII. ONE OF US IS LYING

ONE OF US IS LYING!

NOVEMBER 1977

6th Year

• • • •

"I know what it's like to tell yourself a lie so often that it becomes the truth" - Karen M. McManus, One of Us Is Lying

Leah Sherlock had never been a fan of being told what to do.

So when James Potter and Sirius Black cornered her after she came out of the girls' bathroom during dinner.

"What're you planning?" Sirius asked her.

Leah raised an eyebrow, "Did the two of you seriously follow me out of the Great Hall and wait outside of the girls' bathroom just to ask me a stupid question?"

"Answer him, Sherlock," James said, "What're you planning?"

"A lot of things," Leah shrugged, crossing her arms, "Constantly. All the time."

"Why are you so focused on Remus?" Sirius pressed.

"I don't know what you're talking about." The sixth year rolled her eyes, pushing past the older boys, only for Sirius to grab the girl's arm and spin her back to face him.

"You're a good liar." The shaggy-haired boy stated.

"I know." Leah nodded.

Sirius sighed, but carried on with what he was saying, "I'm a good liar too. Which means that I know a lie when I see one. What do you want with Remus?"

"What? I'm not allowed to talk to another academic?"

"You've been talking to him?" James raised an eyebrow.

Leah then realised that Remus had kept their little rendezvous a secret. She respected that as she knew how his friends would react, or was it because he was ashamed to be her... not-so-but-yes-a-friend. She was incredibly smart, but not socially.

"As much as I talk to you." Leah lied.

"You never talk to us." James said.

"Exactly." Leah spun on her heels, speed walking down the hall, the seventh years running after her.

"Then why were you and your sidekick talking to Peter about him and us last week?" Sirius pressed, making the girl sigh and stop walking, the two boys stumbling to a stop, as she turned to look at them.