Him Again

The same ache lingered in his chest as he thrust his spear into the ground, terminating the last few monsters. He slipped to his knees, breathing heavily under the cold breeze. The karmic debt that's been punishing him only seems to grow each and every time. He would not want anyone to see him like this. But there was only one thing he could hope for in that state. Just like the stars that find themselves in the sky each night, he heard it once more. The echoing melodies of the Dihua flute. It was him again.

In a few seconds, Xiao felt a cool and soothing sensation rest upon him. He stood up, lifting his spear from the dirt. Those tunes are what he relies on, the one thing that keeps him going. He glanced over his shoulder. Across the lake and sitting on a cliff was the silhouette of the flute boy. Xiao squinted briefly but the thick clouds and evening breeze seemed to shelter the boy's identity.

There was another voice that he couldn't stop himself from hearing. It told him to 'go'. It was his heart; a voice that Xiao rarely if ever followed. He knew he wanted to thank this boy, to do something to show his gratitude. This time though, the urge spread across his entire body. As if gravity was pulling him, Xiao vanished and teleported on the top of cliff.

Just like that, the boy was gone with the wind. Even though no one was watching, Xiao still hid his frown of disappointment. He didn't want to give himself false hope, didn't want to get excited over silly things, but why? Why can't he stop thinking about him. He let out a frustrated sigh and went back to Wangshu Inn.

He laid his spear against the wall and collapsed on the bed. For what seemed like hours, he couldn't fall asleep and what bothered him is that he didn't know why. He was about to get up and grab a plate of almond tofu when he heard his name. It was Rex Lapis's familiar voice. Dedicated to his loyal duty, Xiao quickly dropped everything and teleported to the Geo Archon.

Firmly holding his weapon, he searched around for any threats as soon as he arrived at Heyu Tea House. Confused, he raised an eyebrow and looked at Zhongli.

"Oh, hello! You are quick as always," Zhongli said.

"You called me?" Xiao said, waiting for instructions.

"You were right Mr. Zhongli, this wine really is the finest!" Someone said.

As soon as Xiao glanced to his right, his heart dropped, forcing an alert look in his eyes. It was...him 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯. A boy dressed in a bard's clothing lifted his glass, happily laughing away. It was strange seeing him like that but Xiao could still hear them, the soothing melodies.

"What's wrong?" Zhongli said, "Do you happen to know each other?"

"I-" Xiao began, "Regardless, I am at your service."

"Thank you. Venti here is an old friend of mine. Tonight I would like you to be at his service."

"His service? I don't understand," Xiao said.

"I am afraid he's had one too many drinks. Letting him go to Mondstadt like this. Could you take him somewhere safe?"

Xiao knew he had to quickly gather his thoughts and not mess up in front of the archon. He nodded in approval and turned to Venti. He reached to grab his glass but struggled to take it away from him.

"Just one more for Archons' sake!" He whined, looking grumpily at Xiao.

"Your bill sir," The boss of the tea house said.

"Two thousand mora? Are you quite sure?" Zhongli said. For someone who was broke, not a shred of nervousness appeared on him.

Xiao rushed for his pocket and handed the boss a patch of mora.

"Ah thank you," Zhongli said, offering a smile.

Smiling was something that always caught Xiao off guard. Just how was he supposed to react? Do nothing? Smile back? All he could is look away. Thankfully, he had a matter to attend to. Stunned, he furrowed his brows at Venti who was gulping down yet another glass.

"Enough-" Xiao demanded, taking the glass away for good.

"I promise I'll pay you back~" Venti insisted.

"I don't want your mora," Xiao said, rolling his eye.

"Oh," Venti giggled, "Charging me with the kind of price I can pay? I like it." He leaned forward, bringing his lips together.

"What are you-" Xiao lifted two fingers between them, blocking Venti's 'almost-kiss'. They were so close he could smell the scent of alcohol on the boy's lips.

"Huh? So a kiss isn't what you want either? How so demanding."

"Ugh, stop being silly." Xiao knew that Venti was obviously drunk but he couldn't tolerate this behaviour, not in front of the Geo Archon himself. A part of him couldn't believe this was the same person who softly played the flute under the moonlight.

The bard giggled, stumbling about the place. Xiao sighed again before sliding a hand under Venti's legs and lifting him up in his arms. Venti let out a shocked gasp followed by more carefree giggles.

"We'll be going now," Xiao said.

"Take care," Zhongli said, waving goodbye.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Next part coming VERY soon(max Friday)!